Internet connection comes and goes...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Jul 17, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I've been helping a friend upgrade his system - put in a wireless network (2
    laptops via a netgear router), got broadband, installed SP2. All is well
    except one continuing problem........

    We noticed the 'Internet connection' icon was missing in the bottom bar, and
    we kept getting 'server error' on the first attempt to send e-mail from
    outlook. If we then hit send/receive, the mail eventually went. Also, the
    home page never displayed first time in MSIE, but did on refresh. I checked
    network connection - wireless fine; LAN fine - but no Internet Gateway
    connection displayed.
    I played around with a few settings - no good, then disabled the WINDOWS
    firewall and immediately the Internet Gateway Connection appeared in Network
    Connections. I installed Zone Alarm temporarily and left the Windows
    firewall off.
    BUT - next day - nothing has been changed, (firewall still off) and the
    Internet connection has disappeared again, along with the same problems with
    sending mail, and displaying home page.
    What's going on here ?? It seems that the connection won't stay put, but we
    can get past it with a manual intervention in both Outlook and MSIE.

    I'll be extremely grateful for any help - we're both going insane.
    Incidentally - running XP SP2, and latest versions of MSIE, Outlook etc. The
    wireless signal is 'Excellent', and the LAN seems fine.

    Guest, Jul 17, 2005

  2. Guest

    Clark Guest

    Do you have your router set up to maintain the connection to the internet?

    Open a command window and use the ipconfig /all command. Check for IP
    addresses for things like gateway and that machines IP address and DNS
    server addresses. Do they all seem logical? The gateway should be the
    router, assuming you have it set to gateway and not router.

    Clark

    Clark, Jul 20, 2005