    why Unix shouldn't be used for mission critical and life saving
    applications.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jun 17, 2007

  2. From the news reports, it appears the problem is a power
    issue, not what operating system is being used. The newly
    installed solar panels apparently caused a power glitch
    which damaged components.

    I believe the US telephone system is still run by Unix and has
    been for decades. So when you dial 911, you are depending
    on Unix.

    And what does this have to do with photography? When I
    call up WWV to set the time on my watch so I'll
    be at the right place at the right time for those sunrise
    photos, and I'm using Unix.

    On the Cassini spacecraft orbiting Saturn, we generate
    all our instrument commands using Linux; many other teams
    do to. So every time you see a picture from the Saturn
    orbiter, it was done with Linux.

    Adobe, are you listening?: please get photoshop ported to Linux!

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jun 17, 2007

  3. I heard that they tried "upgrading" to Vista and that's what dumped it.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jun 17, 2007
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    ray Guest

    That is not true, and you should know it. At White Sands Missile Range all
    the mission critical apps are run on Unix and Linux. Almost all scientific
    data analysis is too. Critical software development and support is so much
    better with *nix.

    ray, Jun 17, 2007
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Ray Fischer Guest

    _____________________
    /| /| | |
    ||__|| | Do not feed the |
    / O O\__ | trolls. Thank you. |
    / \ | --Mgt. |
    / \ \|_____________________|
    / _ \ \ ||
    / |\____\ \ ||
    / | | | |\____/ ||
    / \|_|_|/ | _||
    / / \ |____| ||
    / | | | --|
    | | | |____ --|
    * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    *-- _--\ _ \ | ||
    / _ \\ | / `
    * / \_ /- | | |
    * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

    Ray Fischer, Jun 17, 2007
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Paul Allen Guest

    And let's not forget the time the so-called "smart ship" USS
    Yorktown had to be towed back into port because the crash of
    a Windows box shut down its propulsion control system.

    Rita knows Windows is not appropriate for mission-critical
    control systems. She's just trolling.
    This would be a Good Thing, but I'd settle for continued progress
    on GIMP and its several alternatives. I'm not particularly
    interested in getting locked in by any proprietary vendor, even
    if PhotoShop is the benchmark against which all else is measured.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Jun 17, 2007
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Rich Guest

    The ISS is the biggest space-based white elephant in the history of
    the program. $180B spent on nothing. They could have run DOZENS of
    good planetary missions for that cost. Rumour has it part of the
    reason for it's existence was to provide work for hundreds of out of
    work Russian nuclear scientists so they wouldn't go ply their trade
    with the Arabs.

    Rich, Jun 17, 2007
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Guest Guest

    Maybe this is why the "Scud Busters" of the first Gulf war were such a
    failure and couldn't distinguish between a Scud and an F-16 only to lock
    onto friendly aircraft and destroy them?

    As for scientific data analysis, the best data acquisition cards and
    programs are designed for DOS and Windows.

    Rita

    Guest, Jun 17, 2007
  9. That's just for public consumption. Do you really think that a "power
    glitch" would even make its way into the main power distribution rail?
    There are way too many redundant safeguards that will catch a glitch a long
    time prior to it even being a problem. I don't buy the fact that they
    didn't have built in safeguards and just hooked the solar array up by the
    seat of thier pants.
    Twenty years ago this would be true. Now most use Java.
    Everything! Considering that digital photography and computers work
    hand-in-hand. My point being no matter what platform you run you always run
    the risk of a total system failure. It just sucks a little more if you're
    stuck in Earth's orbit without a parts depot around the corner.
    I do the same with Windows.
    The space program has been afflicted with many "communication" problems and
    lost spacecraft over the years. I wonder if this is why they are having so
    much misfortune?
    It will never happen. They took a chance at porting it to the Mac platform
    and find it to be not as profitable as they would like.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jun 17, 2007
  10. The problem was narrowed down to the use of AMD processors.
    Huh? Windows and Intel are an unbeatable and bulletproof combination.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jun 17, 2007
  11. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Jun 17, 7:34 am, "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)"

    Holy bejesus! What kind of ISP do you have, that allows you to post
    from so far away?!

    Oh and, btw, do you have a brother named Arthur C.?

    ;>)

    Nervous Nick, Jun 18, 2007
  12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Paul Allen Guest

    You have no shame, have you?
    Intel makes OK hardware, but Windows is bulletproof? Would be nice
    if it were so, but it obviously isn't.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Jun 18, 2007
  13. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    C J Campbell Guest

    It was a mistake to ever abandon EXEC. If the space station was using
    EXEC none of this would ever have happened.

    C J Campbell, Jun 18, 2007
  14. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    ray Guest

    I'm so glad you believe that - it gives me much perspective on your
    intelligence.

    ray, Jun 18, 2007
  15. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Allen Guest

    If Rita would subscribe to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, she might
    learn something about the reliability of WinXP--except,as she has proved
    on several issues, she has nothing left to learn. She must take great
    pleasure in always being right, even when she is wrong. Windows is,
    overall, a good OS, but it shares a common trait with all the software
    that I've dealt with going back to IBM 1401 days: they all will fail
    sometimes.
    Allen

    Allen, Jun 18, 2007
  16. Nope. No relation.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jun 18, 2007
  17. Berkowitz is rpd's resident - uh, troll isn't quite right; kook isn't on
    the money fully, well, eccentric wannabe pet is closer. "She" is capable
    of real analysis, can be very articulate and helpful; but goes off on
    jags of hyperbole and is <<un agent provacateur>> of sorts. Likes a lot
    of attention.

    A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

    John McWilliams, Jun 18, 2007
  18. All software fails at some time.. Its what happens when it does that
    determines how good the system is.
    Even the software on the telephone exchanges I worked on can fail.. however
    there are inbuilt recovery mechanisms to ensure that there is little or no
    disruption to service.

    [email protected], Jun 18, 2007
  19. Congress had to vote on one of two projects for funding.

    ISS _or_ The SuperConducting Super Collider (see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scsc)

    ISS got the money ;+(

    thepixelfreak, Jun 18, 2007
  20. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Allen Guest

    You know that, I know that, Rita does not know that.
    Allen

    Allen, Jun 18, 2007