    manufacturers part number or perhaps you know which power supply is
    required for the 2960? Thanks in advance.

    JC

    John Christie, Dec 17, 2007

  2. John Christie

    Brian V Guest

    The 2960 has a lifetime warranty on it. Why isn't Cisco replacing it?

    Brian V, Dec 17, 2007

  3. I bought it second hand.

    JC

    John Christie, Dec 17, 2007
  4. Yeah, part of the value of buying new from a cisco reseller..

    Get a Smartnet contract on it from a webstore that will just take in
    the serial # and get it fixed then?

    Depending on the model, the price can be fairly low. CDW lists one
    model as being $60 (CON-SNT-C29608C). It is important to match up the
    exact model number (best done by serial #) with the contract you need.

    FWIW: in my experience in trying to do what you are, finding some
    other power supply sourced directly from the manufactorer, or one of
    the main distributers (ie. Digikey/Arrow/Newark, etc), is the one that
    the OEM used is usually no longer available, or the price is so
    absurdly expensive to buy a one-off that its not worth it, even if you
    can even attempt to find somebody that carries that particular vendor.

    Cisco is big enough that they might have them custom made just for
    their needs rather than off-the-shelf parts that some smaller company
    might use.

    Otherwise buy another off eBay, the 2960's are fairly cheap for cisco gear.

    Doug McIntyre, Dec 17, 2007
  5. John Christie

    Thrill5 Guest

    As far as I know, the lifetime warranty does not expire because you
    purchased it second hand. We have purchase several hundred 2924's on the
    secondary market over the years and sent them to Cisco for replacement when
    they failed. (This may have changed with the newer switches.) Another
    avenue is to call ask about a flatrate replacement. On many low end Cisco
    devices, we do not purchase support because Cisco offers a flat-rate
    replacement cost which is pretty cheap, and certainly less than the price
    you were quoted. I'm pretty sure the price your reseller quoted you is for
    a 1-year service contract.

    Thrill5, Dec 18, 2007