Internal connections on Sky Sagem router

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Toby Newman, Oct 26, 2008.

  1. Toby Newman

    Toby Newman Guest

    I've just moved from Virgin to Sky and am a little confused by the
    behaviour of my new Sagem Sky router.

    I have two computers connected to the router, one running linux, the
    other in XP.
    I run a web server on the linux machine, and have set up port 80
    forwarding in the router to that machine accordingly.

    If I'm away from home and put:
    http://myWANipadress
    into a browser, I see my apache pages being served. Great.

    However, if I put:
    http://myWANipadress
    into my browser on my XP machine, on the LAN, I get taken to the
    router's setup web interface. I can't view the web pages being served
    by the linux machine on my LAN.

    The same is true for my sshd server. I can connect from friend's
    houses, but I can't connect from within my own home!

    The system worked fine on my old cable router - it must be a config
    issue on the Sky router.

    What am I doing wrong here?

    Toby Newman, Oct 26, 2008

  2. Since you set up its port forwarding you know the LAN address of your Linux
    server. Use that address from your XP machine, eg: http://192.168.0.10
    etc.
    Your cable server was redirecting local traffic according to the inward
    filter rules but your Sagem does not do that. Both behaviours are valid.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Oct 26, 2008

  3. Toby Newman

    Toby Newman Guest

    Thanks. It's a little annoying because if I want to access my local
    server from a wireless device I need to have two sets of settings for
    home and away. I wonder if there's any way to work around this?

    Toby Newman, Oct 27, 2008
  4. If you were to access your network by name, and that may involve getting a
    free DynDNS account, then you could solve this with an entry into the hosts
    file in your XP machine. But I believe by using http://myWANipadress you
    are pretty well stuffed so long as you stick with that router.

    BTW Sky Broadband gave me a Netgear DG834GT gateway wireless router which
    behaves like your cable router in this regard and would do what you want.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Oct 27, 2008