    1.) pay to have your machine fixed.
    2.) buy some beer and have a friend come over and fix it.
    3.) get a new machine.

    Jeff Strickland, May 27, 2010

  2. Well, TBird has F Key functions that you can use to test the operation of
    the F Keys. I'm trying to understand if your keyboard is on the fritz. Using
    any Windows application will provide a test bed for the F Keys. F1 is access
    to the Help menu. F3 should invoke the Find feature. F7 starts SpellCheck.
    F5 will Refresh the browser. You can test the F Keys from within Outlook
    Express or Tbird.

    PS
    Firefox is a browser, like Internet Explorer is a browser. Thunderbird is an
    e-mail client, like Outlook Express is an e-mail client. You control Full
    Screen with the F11 Key. Full Screen will toggle off and on with each press
    of F11.

    Jeff Strickland, May 27, 2010

  3. UCLAN

    UCLAN Guest

    I tried this (See my first post.) $80 later (including new RAM) I was told
    "If you still have problems, you might have to reinstall windows.) The
    problems are so intermittent, they may disappear for a day or two. :(
    Ah...beer and troubleshooting - quite the combination. Seriously, intermittent
    nature of the problems makes this problematic, too.
    See original post. This was my plan at the outset. $500-$600 versus continued
    intermittent problems in an old system.

    UCLAN, May 27, 2010
  4. UCLAN

    UCLAN Guest

    F-keys seem to work in other applications. It's only during boot-up that
    I'm having F-key problems.
    I was thinking Firefox, but typed Thunderbird. Not the first/last time I
    get those two reversed. I discovered the F-11 toggle. But with the URL
    window and other items missing, IE8 is of no use to me anyway.

    Any idea why the URL window (and things such as favorites, etc.) is missing
    from the IE8 screen?

    UCLAN, May 27, 2010
  5. Having F Key problems when only one of them is intended to work is probably
    not a problem. The window of opportunity for using the right key at the
    right time is very small.

    Right Click on the menu bars at the top of the screen, but not on a menu
    item or icon, and a list of display options should appear. Select the stuff
    you want displayed.

    Jeff Strickland, May 27, 2010
  6. UCLAN

    UCLAN Guest

    Nope. Upper part of the IE8 screen is transparent (T-Bird app behind it is
    visable.) A right click anywhere up there gives me the normal "close,
    minimize, restore, etc., options.

    Very strange....

    UCLAN, May 28, 2010
  7. That right click is on the Title Bar.

    You need to right click on the gray areas of the Menu Bar, or whichever bar
    is exposed, anywhere that is not an icon or menu option. My screen has two
    bars, Menu Bar and Command Bar. The Menu Bar takes the entire screen, so if
    this bar is OFF, then you might only have one gray bar. The Command Bar
    shares the right-hand end of the same bar that shows the tabs and the Star
    icon that brings up the Favorites Menu. Since this bar cannot be turned OFF,
    you have have at least one gray bar that you can right click, and the select
    the Address Bar from the dropdown menu to display the URL dropdown -- which
    is not a window, by the way.

    Jeff Strickland, May 28, 2010
  8. UCLAN

    UCLAN Guest

    There are NO, I repeat NO, "bars" at the top of the screen. As I wrote, that
    area is transparent, showing the command bar (File, Edit, View, etc.) and the
    icons for SEND, CONTACTS, SPELL, etc., for the Thunderbird page previously
    open. Right clicking ANYWHERE on the top half of the IE8 page results in the
    close options (close, minimize, restore, etc.) I would attach a screen shot,
    but newsgroup rules frown upon such things.

    UCLAN, May 28, 2010

  9. I got yoru screen shot in my e-mail. For the benefit of those following
    along in the pews, I'll try to restate my Reply to you ...

    Your Menu Bar is missing, more currectly, the space is there but the bar
    isn't.

    There is a bug with IE8 that makes the menu and tool bars fill in black.
    Yours is transparent, which is different and odd.

    In any case, the fix for black tool bars and menu bars is to Right Click the
    Desktop and choose Properties. Under the Appearance tab, select Windows XP
    Style, and click OK. I never change the Theme, but when my machine made
    black bars, my Theme was on Windows Classic, and the Appearance tab also was
    set to Classic. I set the Appearance to XP Style, and the color came back to
    the bars. I returned the setting to Classic Style and the color remained.

    I have to wonder if your machine has gotten confused somewhere along the
    way. If so, returning the Theme to Classic Style or XP Style and setting the
    Appearance to match oughth to fix the trouble.

    Jeff Strickland, May 28, 2010
  10. You sent me an e-mail with an invalid return address.

    I suppose it's okay, except I spent the time to Reply to it and it bounced,
    which means I wasted my time trying to help you.

    Jeff Strickland, May 28, 2010
  11. UCLAN

    UCLAN Guest

    Hmmm...don't know why it bounced. It was sent from my primary email account.
    I send another and make sure the return address is valid.

    UCLAN, May 29, 2010
  12. UCLAN

    UCLAN Guest

    I tried that just now. All colors and fonts were changed, but URL area still
    missing. My favorites, tools, help, etc., now comes up about half the time I
    launch IE8, but still no URL area. New screen shot headed your way.

    UCLAN, May 29, 2010
  13. So, NOW you can right click on the right hand side of the Menu Bar and
    select the items you want exposed. You are looking for the Address Bar.

    Also, do your right click on the upper of the two menu bars because the
    lower one is supposed to display a Star at the very far left end which is
    used to open the Favorites Menu. You can see what happens when you right
    click on this line (the same thing that happens when you right click on the
    upper line should happen). The lower bar also houses the Command Bar
    features when the Command Bar is enabled, which by the screen shot you sent
    me it is not enabled.

    I suggest you reboot your machine too.

    I don't know why you have the Menu Bar showing twice. When you right click
    the upper bar, and make selections from the drop down box that opens, I
    think the bars will fix themselves. I'd select all of the options that
    appear, then turn them off as you see that they are and decide that you
    don't want them.

    PS
    It's the Menu Bar that says FILE, EDIT, VIEW, FAVORITES, TOOLS, and HELP.
    The narrow one is correct (the one on the top), the wider one (on the
    bottom) is false -- it should not have the menu options shown on it.

    PPS
    For those following along at home -- he sent me a screen shot that has IE
    showing with the Menu Bar correct, plus the bar below that normally shows
    the tabs and the Gold Star is filled with the Menu Bar options a second
    time. The size of the erroneous tool bar is correct, but the contents are
    wrong.

    Jeff Strickland, May 29, 2010
  14. UCLAN

    UCLAN Guest

    Well, still no luck. Right clicking ANYWHERE on top half of the screen
    results in "close" menu (close, minimize, restore, etc.) BTW, the MENU bar
    showed up BEFORE I tried changing APPEARANCE to WINDOWS XP. It appeared
    after I tried opening and closing IE8 about a half dozen times. It's gone
    this morning. Can't get it to come back. Frustrating. Firefox is so easy.
    I'll try playing with it later.

    UCLAN, May 29, 2010
  15. UCLAN

    UCLAN Guest

    Well, I left it alone for over a week. Now, URL "drop down" window is there
    when I open IE8, and right clicking in upper gray area gives me tool bar
    options. I changed nothing. Other system intermittents also seem to have
    disappeared. Go figure...

    Screen shot headed your way.

    UCLAN, Jun 7, 2010