Interesting things about Nikon

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chuck, Jul 8, 2004.

  1. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

  2. Roland Karlsson, Jul 8, 2004

  3. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    the patent part is the one that I find interesting (Canon did the same btw)

    Chuck, Jul 8, 2004
  4. The Moire problems is the
    I saw some examples. Our D70 comes next week. I'm curious....

    And anyway, it's not a bug, it's a feature <g>.

    If you use an aggressive optical anti-alializing filter, you'll avoid moiré
    but the pictures will get softer. This is what Nikon did with the D100.

    If you use a less aggressive optical anti-alializing filter, you'll have
    moiré more likely, but the pictures will get more crisp. This is what Nikon
    did with the D70.

    The Sigma '9 has no optical anti-alializing filter. The pictures are know to
    show some unnatural sharpness, so they added a filter with the '10. What I
    saw with the D70 was _color_ moiré, seemingly no _brightness_ moiré. As the
    Sigma's Foveon sensor can't do pure color moiré, it might be less prone to
    moiré problems.

    -Michael

    Michael Schnell, Jul 8, 2004
  5. No - not really interesting. The photography industry is full of
    "obvious" patents that most other players are infringing upon.
    No company could probably do any camera at all if they did not
    infringe upon other companies patents.

    Patents (originally very sound) has become a sick business.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jul 8, 2004
  6. Nope - they did add micro lenses. This will increase the fill
    factor and thereby decrease the aliasing problem. But no
    anti alias filter was added.
    Color Moire is the least pretty one IMHO.
    Yepp - it is. A Bayer camera __needs__ an anti alias
    filter badly, a Foveon camera only needs it.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jul 8, 2004
  7. Martin Francis, Jul 8, 2004
  8. Chuck

    Zebedee Guest

    I like the Sigma SD10 from what I've seen of it. I'd really like it a lot
    more if it used jpeg files and took a Nikon lens. What I have seen of
    Sigma's own lenses has been considerably less than impressive.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, Jul 8, 2004
  9. Chuck

    John S Guest

    Yep... esp. when you consider that many of the reviews (not linked...) rated
    the camera very highly. For example,

    Ken Rockwell review:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70lens.htm#lens
    "Bravo, Nikon! The D70 eclipses every other DSLR under $3,000 because the
    D70 provides critical ease-of-use and speed, especially when it comes to the
    critical flash sync.

    Image quality is unbeaten except possibly by the Canon 1D-II and 1Ds, but
    they cost five to eight times as much and weigh a ton.

    The D70 offers superior quality to any point and shoot digital, and
    especially superior operational efficiency and practical image quality
    compared to the newest 8 Megapixel point and shoots like the Nikon 8700,
    Sony DSC-F828 and Canon 8MP Pro-1. Remember the P/S digicams use much
    smaller pixels, so 8 million teeny-weeny pixels are not as good as the 6
    million huge ones on a real DSLR. I have a whole page about this here."

    Thom Hogan review:
    http://bythom.com/D70REVIEW.HTM
    "Bottom line: The D70 is the digital SLR for the masses. A very well-rounded
    camera that will make many a digital newcomer happy. Considering that you
    can control so much more with a D70 than you can with the Digital Rebel,
    those that prefer manual to auto won't have any troubles paying an extra
    US$100 for the privilege."

    Anyway, funny.

    John S, Jul 8, 2004
  10. Yepp - making a special anti Nikon web site and then
    collecting negative things about this or that camera
    is rather pathetic. The D70 complaints are rather ...
    ehem ... thin BTW.

    And even go back to WW II to get anything interesting
    to have to write. Everyone knows that the Japanese
    wonder started with making copies of western stuff.
    Cars - cameras - whatever ...

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jul 9, 2004
  11. Chuck

    Zebedee Guest

    Nothing I haven't heard before. My gripe about the D70 is much more basic -
    the battery. Why did Nikon have ANOTHER battery. They could have put AAs
    like Fuji or maybe 2 ENEL1s and kept to common batteries. That puts me right
    off the D70!

    Zebedee, Jul 9, 2004
  12. I'm at picture 475 and the only moire I have seen so far was on a
    screen door in the background.

    "I'm the luckiest man in the world. I have a cigarette
    lighter and a wife...and they both work!"

    Cadillac_Jones, Jul 9, 2004
  13. Geezz...The battery lasts between 500-1000 shots, comes with the
    camera including a charger and a spare is $45. I like it helluva lot
    more than CR123s.

    Actually my only gripe is the frickin' IR remote. Why,why, why when
    cable release is so simple???

    But to dismiss this camera because of that is like saying I don't want
    to drive a Ferrari because it's not a diesel.

    Cadillac_Jones, Jul 9, 2004
  14. Chuck

    Zebedee Guest

    2CR5s are OK. I can get those cheaply. The ENEL1 is good. I like it but
    2CR5s are more common than CR123s
    So they can spend a few pennies more on it and charge a few pounds for the
    privilage.

    Zebedee, Jul 9, 2004
  15. Chuck

    Don F Guest

    Don F, Jul 9, 2004
  16. Chuck

    bagal Guest

    don't canon & nikon use the sames sensors anyway?

    das B

    faults on one equate to faults on t'other

    bagal, Jul 9, 2004
  17. Chuck

    Sabineellen Guest

    Most of the sensors out there are made by Sony, but the algorithms and
    in-camera processing is different. I guess it matters less if you only use RAW,
    though RAW still differs from manufacturer to another as I understand it.

    Sabineellen, Jul 10, 2004
  18. Nope - Canon make their own sensors - CMOS.
    Nobody else use them.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jul 11, 2004
  19. Having ISO 200 only, doesn't ring your bell?

    Georgette Preddy, Jul 11, 2004
  20. Nikon uses Sony CCDs, Canon's use their own CMOSs.

    Sony is the biggest manufacturer of Bayer sensors in the world, while
    Canon is one of the the smallest CMOS manufacturers (though there are
    lot of "real" CMOS chip makers to contend with, like National
    Semiconductor, Intel, AMD, and Motorola). Whatever the reason,
    Canon's CMOS manufacturing prowess is dismal by current standards,
    they still use 486-era chip fabrication processes (0.35 micron) even
    in DSLR bodies selling for near $10,000 MSRP.

    Perhaps the main advantage of CMOS chips is that in theory they keep
    pace with Moores Law, and CCDs do not since they require specialized
    fabrication. Of course when a copier company like Canon makes the
    CMOS, that isn't worth much.

    Canon's old CMOS chips have given CMOS sensors a reputation for high
    noise compared to CCD chips. But that has all changed now that a real
    chip maker, National Semiconductor, has entered the market with their
    own PentiumIV-class (0.18 micron/60M transitors) Foveon Pro 10M
    digital camera sensor. Here is the result...

    http://www.pbase.com/image/31155134/original

    Georgette Preddy, Jul 11, 2004