    the USA have concluded.

    I will say that the product news is well worth waiting for. It shows
    that Leica are working hard and investing for a strong future.

    Bruce, May 10, 2012

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    The deadline has passed and the three products announced today can be
    revealed:

    1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
    need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
    up to ISO 10,000.

    2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
    aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
    sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.

    3. Leica X2 autofocus compact P&S with 16 MP APS-C sensor (up from the
    12 MP of the X1), 24mm f/2.8 lens (full frame equivalent focal length
    of 35mm) and a socket for an accessory EVF.

    The seminar will continue tomorrow and may include further
    announcements. However the M10 rangefinder and new mirrorless system
    camera/lenses are unlikely to appear before Photokina in September.

    Bruce, May 10, 2012

  3. Bruce

    Rol_Lei Nut Guest

    None of them seem especially interesting....

    1) B&W is the main area where film can remain distinct from digital (an
    argument could be made for colour slides as well, but the classic "slide
    show" is had to get across now). Part of it is the ease of home
    processing (at least negative developing), part the fascinaton of the
    process itself and part the final results - a good B&W "wet print" is
    still unmatched by any other digital-compatible printing process.
    The problem is, for the price of the M Monochrom, you can buy lots (and
    really lots) of film.

    2) Good news, if you like the 50mm FL... ;-)

    3) Lots of very good competition in that sector. The Leica is unlikely
    to make any breakthrough there, either.

    Seriously now, when will some manufacturer come out with a full-frame
    EVIL camera which will accept any 35mm format lens ever made?

    Rol_Lei Nut, May 10, 2012
  4. Bruce

    MC Guest

    I can't help but feel that a monochrome M is a going into a very niche
    market, especially at the price. There are going to be very few
    situations which are going to require such precise b&w imagery from a
    rangefinder especially when you can, with effort, get an "as near as
    damn it" b&w image using post processing and at a fraction of the
    price. There will be very few people who will be able to tell the
    difference with the naked eye anyway.

    Will it sell? Maybe. With Leica's track record and with a few people
    still around with more money that sense, it could do OK. However, I
    shall not be putting it on my list to Santa.

    MC

    MC, May 10, 2012
  5. Bruce

    Trevor Guest

    But where can you buy film that has "low noise up to 10,000 ISO" with
    resolution to match an 18MP camera?
    Like *ALL* Leica equipment though, it's not for everyone.

    Trevor.

    Trevor, May 10, 2012
  6. Bruce

    Nick Fotis Guest

    This reminds me the Kodak DCS760M, which was probably the best
    black&white CCD camera.
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/kodak-760m.shtml

    N.F.

    Nick Fotis, May 11, 2012
  7. Bruce

    PeterN Guest

    And the purpose for your posting is?

    PeterN, May 11, 2012
  8. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    Someone replicating Tri-X grain?

    RichA, May 11, 2012
  9. To demonstrate that he reads LeicaRumors.com, I guess.

    Mike Benveniste, May 11, 2012
  10. []
    The omission of an AA filter is typical Leica marketing, particularly on a
    camera designed for high-quality lenses where the need for such a filter
    is greater. At least the more objectionable colour artefacts will be
    missing as it's a monochrome camera.

    David

    David J Taylor, May 11, 2012
  11. Niche product, needs filters on the lens (instead of being able
    to do that in post) which negates the high ISO partially or fully.

    I wish them luck. There should be more dedicated monochrome
    cameras.

    No AA filter also means that the:
    won't be a good match outside controlled situations where aliasing
    can be detected before the situation has ended.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 11, 2012
  12. Bruce

    Noons Guest

    Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 11/05/2012 5:50 AM:
    Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge together
    three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern autochrome @ 10000.

    Yummy! Pity the price...

    Noons, May 11, 2012
  13. It's easy enough to do without any special tool. I did it testing my
    theories about what caused certain background effects in the famous
    Prokudin-Gorsky photos (<http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/>); my RGB
    merges are at <http://dd-b.net/ddbcms/2001/05/composite-color/>.

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 11, 2012
  14. Bruce

    Trevor Guest

    Leica will be glad if there really are people that stupid, but somehow I
    doubt that's the target market!

    What did you expect from Leica, Sigma prices?
    You really are dreaming!

    Trevor.

    Trevor, May 11, 2012
  15. Bruce

    Trevor Guest

    And I used to do it for special effects 40 years ago, I sure as hell don't
    need to do it for normal photo's though.
    And I'm even more sure I don't need to buy a Mono Leica to take color
    photo's! :)
    Now B&W photography where that 10,000 ISO would be really usable might be
    another matter however, but only if Canon or Nikon decided to offer a body
    with such a sensor.

    Trevor.

    Trevor, May 11, 2012
  16. Bruce

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, May 12, 2012
  17. Filters on the lens will be needed in some very specific situations
    (landscapes, studio) for those a high ISO usually don't be required.

    Laszlo Lebrun, May 12, 2012
  18. Bruce

    Guest Guest

    no they can't

    Guest, May 12, 2012
  19. Bruce

    Guest Guest

    usual ones for b/w are red or yellow, but also polarizer and others.

    Guest, May 12, 2012
  20. Bruce

    Guest Guest

    no it won't. according to roger clark, tech pan is roughly equivalent
    to 16-18 mp.

    Guest, May 12, 2012