Interesting!!!! From the Digital Bits Please Read

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Film Buff, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. Film Buff

    Film Buff Guest

    ""Finally this morning, I've saved the best (or worst) for last.
    The NY Times has a new story up on how the Hollywood studios are rushing to cash in on the DVD boom.
    Here's your happy, happy, joy, joy from the article... Miramax is reportedly preparing to release a half-dozen different DVD editions of Kill Bill:

    "This is the beauty of having two volumes," said Rick Sands, chief operating officer at Miramax.
    "Vol. 1 goes out, Vol. 2 goes out, then Vol. 1 Special Edition, Vol. 2 Special Edition, the two-pack, then the Tarantino collection as a boxed set out for Christmas.
    It's called multiple bites at the apple. And you multiply this internationally."
    Mr. Tarantino has also cut an alternate version of the movie for Japan.

    I'm gonna ask the obvious right now: Can you believe the BALLS required to make a statement like that in public?
    To a reporter?
    For a story that people are going to READ?!
    Do you suppose Miramax planned to let fans of the film know about all this, so they could... oh, I don't know... maybe make informed decisions
    about which version they want to spend their hard-earned cash on?
    can understand the need to put out multiple DVD versions of a film on occasion, but DAMN!
    A half-dozen different DVD editions, and Tarantino wants to release stand-alone Beneath the Crust-style discs of supplemental materials as well?
    ! F#@K THAT.

    Multiple bites at the apple, huh?

    BITE THIS!

    And to think the entertainment industry has the nerve to wonder why some people download this stuff. Greedy bastards. Doh!""

    Film Buff, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Film Buff

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Act accordingly....

    Film Buff wrote:
    :: ""Finally this morning, I've saved the best (or worst) for last.
    :: The NY Times has a new story up on how the Hollywood studios are
    :: rushing to cash in on the DVD boom.
    :: Here's your happy, happy, joy, joy from the article... Miramax is
    :: reportedly preparing to release a half-dozen different DVD editions
    :: of Kill Bill:
    ::

    Roger Zoul, Apr 21, 2004

  3. Film Buff

    Justin Guest

    Most? Most I know get both releases.

    Justin, Apr 21, 2004
  4. Film Buff

    Justin Guest

    They are two different movies, after all.

    Justin, Apr 21, 2004
  5. Oh, you mean, assuming that 'Max wants a piece of New Line's "Multiple
    artistic versions of LOTR" pie, do what most forewarned-ahead-of-time
    LOTR fans do and ignore all "unofficial" quick-sale versions till the
    Extended/Director's Cut comes out?

    Derek Janssen (oh, like anyone had to ASK...)

    Derek Janssen, Apr 21, 2004
  6. ....

    ....You're kidding.

    Derek Janssen (and those're JACKSON fans, let alone Quentin fans!)

    Derek Janssen, Apr 21, 2004
  7. Film Buff

    3W Guest

    people download this stuff. Greedy bastards. Doh!""

    So... choice is bad?

    3W, Apr 22, 2004
  8. Film Buff

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Justin, says...
    Not me.

    Mark Spatny, Apr 22, 2004
  9. Film Buff

    Zygon Curry Guest

    Choice is a good thing. But choice would be far better if the studios
    let the consumers know well in advance how they were going to release
    a film. The Lord of the Rings example is a decent example since
    they've always said two versions of each film will be released, etc.

    Zygon Curry, Apr 22, 2004
  10. Film Buff

    Otter Guest

    Choice only if you know ahead of time. How many of the millions who
    bought V1 on it's day of relase realized that there would be a SE
    verion released later in the year, then a complete 3.5 hour cut of the
    film at xmas? Some, sure (I did) but not most. They have every right
    to be pissed about this when they find out.

    -Otter

    Otter, Apr 22, 2004
  11. Film Buff

    Goro Guest

    solution:
    Rent. DVDShrink.
    Repeat 5 more times.

    Goro, Apr 22, 2004
  12. Film Buff

    Mike Kohary Guest

    When deception is used with regards to the available choices, choice seems
    severely curtailed, doesn't it?

    With the Lord of the Rings releases, consumers had full choice. When a
    movie is released, and then re-released as an SE without prior notice, that
    doesn't present much of a choice.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 22, 2004
  13. Film Buff

    Mike Kohary Guest

    reportedly preparing to release a half-dozen different DVD editions of Kill
    Bill:
    Special Edition, the two-pack, then the Tarantino collection as a boxed set
    out for Christmas.
    make a statement like that in public?
    It's a pretty audacious thing to say out loud, albeit it's nothing we didn't
    already figure before. But to hear it announced in so many words,
    confirming that it's an intentional and calculated practice...grrr. Not a
    great way to win friends among consumers, and not great PR on Miramax's
    part.

    Now I rather feel like I was ripped off in buying Kill Bill Vol. 1 last
    week.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 22, 2004
  14. Film Buff

    Mike Kohary Guest

    What's an "unofficial quick-sale version"? FWIW, the sales figures on the
    theatrical versions of LOTR were very good, and the prior announcement of
    two editions didn't seem to have any adverse effect on sales. For my part,
    I bought them both each time, as I'm sure many fans did.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 22, 2004
  15. Film Buff

    Justin Guest

    Otter wrote on [22 Apr 2004 03:57:06 -0500]:
    Even now, I bet most still don't know. It's not like everyone that buys
    DVDs scans the newsgroups, websites and stuff looking for every morsel
    of information. They see the flyer in the paper saying the Kill Bill DVD
    is coming this Tuesday... that's about it.

    Justin, Apr 22, 2004
  16. Film Buff

    Shinner Guest

    I held out for the extended version of each because I knew about them in
    advance. Not having seen Kill Bill Vol. 1 in theaters, I bought it on
    release day. Had I known some uber release was gonna happen around
    Christmas, I would have waited to buy until then, and rented the current
    release now.

    Shinner, Apr 22, 2004
  17. Film Buff

    Mike Jackson Guest

    Now I rather feel like I was ripped off in buying Kill Bill Vol. 1 last
    Maybe, but I know I've already watched it about three times, will watch it
    many more before December, and there's a great used place in town that will
    buy/trade in my old copy when I buy the uber-edition. I'd say, in the long
    run, I saved quite a bit on the rental fees I would've paid if I rented it
    every time I got a hankerin'.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Apr 22, 2004
  18. Film Buff

    Invid Fan Guest

    The regular versions of the LOTR films are only around $5 at
    Blockbusters if you go with their 7 rentals deal, so I've been picking
    up both versions.

    Invid Fan, Apr 22, 2004
  19. Film Buff

    Mark Spatny Guest

    3W, says...
    The thing is your average consumer doesn't read trade magazines or this
    newsgroup, so he/she won't KNOW there is a choice. They won't know to
    wait for the later delux versions. They'll just get annoyed when later,
    better editions of the same movie come out.

    Mark Spatny, Apr 22, 2004
  20. Film Buff

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Me too. It's a practice that bugs me, but I tend to let it go, mostly. Now
    that I hear the Miramax rep actually talking about it out loud, in so
    callous a manner, I find it's kind of pissing me off.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 22, 2004