    effectiveness is or a difference of opinion over what level of
    effectiveness is acceptable, but I, for one, do not want to change their
    minds. I like the voluntary approach.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 2, 2003

  2. DeMoN LaG

    Trent© Guest

    You have a lot to learn, bro.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 2, 2003

  3. DeMoN LaG

    Trent© Guest

    As the comptroller for corporations...as a partner in a
    partnership...and as a sole proprietor...I've paid use tax.

    In Ohio, it's the LAW. Its NOT voluntary.

    And there ARE penalties for failure to pay.

    And, yes...it is like income tax...in that only the volume folks get
    audited.

    But its NOT voluntary...its a law.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 2, 2003
  4. DeMoN LaG

    Trent© Guest

    I've never seen that with sales tax. I'd like to see the exact
    wording in the ordinance.

    But you do see that a lot with city and state income taxes. Luckily,
    most governing bodies have reciprocity agreements...but not all.

    I once worked in city A...where they took out income tax for that
    city. I lived in city B. I had to file an annual income tax report
    for city B...mainly because of investment income. I was NOT given
    credit for payments made to city A. I had to pay the total amount on
    the report.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 2, 2003
  5. DeMoN LaG

    Mr. Majestik Guest

    What do you call this? Hiding in the dark>? The larger, and more insidious
    issue is the current trend where gov't promises everything to everyone, and
    then tries to collect everything to pay for it. It's a kind of tenure or job
    security for the politicians and bureaucrats. The airport security is a case
    in point. The box cutters are getting in, even though billions were/are
    spent training/hiring more boobs who couldn't work at Mc Donalds. They are
    never judged on performance, only on *intent* to do good. With your money,
    of course. There is never *enough*, so the struggle continues. The inter-net
    is the last bastion of liberty for most of the world and it would be
    criminal to allow it fall into the hands of the *regulators* and tax
    collectors.
    I'm only an army of one, playing to an audience of one. Me. I do what I
    think is right, and will let God decide. You may, of course, do what you
    think right.

    Mr. Majestik, Nov 2, 2003
  6. DeMoN LaG

    Adam Steiner Guest

    Wish they'd do that here too ;-)

    Adam Steiner, Nov 2, 2003
  7. DeMoN LaG

    Trent© Guest

    Excellent post...and so very true.

    I've found the Internet very interesting...the things that can't be
    controlled because of the Net.

    Music might have been the beginning...I'm not sure. But drugs for
    seniors is another. And gambling.

    When you make access an international thing, its hard to control that
    activity on a local...or even national...level.

    And...off the Internet? Drugs. How stupid...to make using drugs a
    crime! We've taken so many good people off the streets...and put them
    behind bars...for making 1 or 2 stupid mistakes! And most of them are
    poor blacks.

    I think I may be done ranting! lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 2, 2003
  8. DeMoN LaG

    Mr. Majestik Guest

    Not my issue, but I think your heart is in the right place. Take my drug,
    Aciphex. It's a PPH, it stops stomach acid. Without it, I'll either get
    cancer of the esophagi's, or other knarley stuff. It sells in Italy for .30
    USD. In Mexico (without an RX, it's .50) per pill. I pay (US law, no
    negotiation, I HAVE insurance), I pay $4 per pill, twice a day. I wouldn't
    have known the cost in other countries *without* the net, don't you
    know...............the drug companies are getting apoplexy finding this out.

    Allowing the gov't (ANY gov't) to thwart this information is the same as
    allowing your daughter to be raped and telling her to be *quiet* while the
    *authorities* investigate............

    Mr. Majestik, Nov 2, 2003
  9. So Mr. Majestik is your real name? Now that you've proclaimed that you
    don't pay sales tax (or use tax) have you provided enough information
    for the authorities to charge you? Because that's the *public*
    opposition to an issue that I'm talking about-the kind that ends up in
    court with you defending yourself by proving, to a court, that the law
    itself is unjust/unconstitutional.

    Or you can start an initiative although that depends on where you live-a
    damned shame but some policitians have clamped down on people's power of
    initiative. Maybe you need to start by expanding the power to start an
    initiative. Sometimes you need to build the tools to build the tools.

    BTW-who, in your opinion, is the government? IMO it's my fellow
    citizens. My neighbors, locally, and them plus a whole bunch of
    strangers nationally. But we're all citizens. The politicians are our
    representatives-if they're crooked (as so many of them are) then expose
    them. Your fellow citizens will throw them out. (Check California for a
    recent example.) The direct representatives of the government are
    employees. If they treat you unjustly (and many do) then get your
    politicians involved.

    You know, I'd be glad to support eliminating taxes if only someone would
    propose a *workable* alternative. So far, all that I've seen are
    proposals to eliminate the government-a 'cure' worse than the disease.

    I applaud your final sentiment, but you sound a *lot* like the Muslim
    extremists. "Kill everyone & let Allah sort them out."

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 2, 2003
  10. And as a consumer? That, which is what it appears that Thor is talking
    about, seems to be conspicuously absent in your list of situations in
    which you've paid the tax.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 2, 2003
  11. DeMoN LaG

    Trent© Guest

    Funny, Cal...you sounded OLDER than 12 before! lol

    BTW...I sent this by email also...in case your news server isn't
    workin' properly.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 3, 2003