    putting the voluntary remittance form in our state tax return booklets, they
    had thousands of people complaining about this "new" tax they never heard
    of.

    Thor, Nov 1, 2003

  2. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    There is no tax on clothing in New Jersey. I believe it's considered a
    necessity so it is untaxed.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 1, 2003

  3. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Actually, intentionally breaking laws that you deem stupid is a fast way to
    get yourself in jail. If you think a law is stupid, rally to have it
    changed. If I don't think it should be illegal to have sex with a goat on
    my front lawn (no, I don't do this), the way to make it legal is to change
    people's opinions, not say "I think it's stupid, I'm doing it anyway"

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 1, 2003
  4. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Yes, NJ has a state sales tax (6%) and yes, when I buy from new egg now
    they do charge a 6% sales tax. No complaints from me here.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 1, 2003
  5. DeMoN LaG

    Trent© Guest

    Use tax investigation is included in any sales tax audit...in ANY
    state, not just Ohio.

    And its NOT voluntary!! lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 1, 2003
  6. DeMoN LaG

    Jeremy Guest

    You are assuming that every state requires that reporting and you are
    wrong.
    JJ

    Jeremy, Nov 1, 2003
  7. DeMoN LaG

    Trent© Guest

    And you can often change people's opinions by going to jail.

    Do a Google search for South Africa.

    Did you know that sitting in the front of the bus if you are a Negro
    used to be against the law? Many Negroes went to jail over this
    law...some endured worse.

    Sales tax is a stupid concept.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 1, 2003
  8. DeMoN LaG

    Trent© Guest

    QVC charges sales tax on every purchase...and they pay it to the
    appropriate state. They do not have physical presence in most of
    these states...so they do it for the states purely as a cooperative
    gesture. Most of the time, they do not have a legal obligation to do
    so.

    But you SHOULD be complaining about sales tax...every chance you get.
    More than likely, though, you don't even know where that money
    goes...and don't care.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 1, 2003
  9. DeMoN LaG

    Trent© Guest

    How can 'probably more' be a pittance. I personally have paid tens of
    thousands of dollars in use tax.
    Again, not true at all. As a matter of fact, 'isolated' or casual
    sales are not taxable at all. For instance, if you sell your living
    room mirror to someone, you are not obligated to pay either sales tax
    or use tax.

    And the customer doesn't pay sales tax...the vendor does. You must
    have a vendor's license in order to collect and remit sales tax.

    THAT'S why an individual can pay use tax...no license number is
    required to do so. Only a person with a vendor's license can remit
    sales tax.
    You NEVER pay it to the state. Its the VENDOR who is responsible for
    paying the tax...true with ALL sales. The state doesn't care whether
    you collect the sales tax from the customer or not. YOU, the VENDOR,
    are obligated to pay sales tax. The state gives you the right to get
    reimbursed from the customer. But it you don't take advantage of that
    right...hey, too bad. You, as the vendor, are still liable for sales
    tax.

    I know you don't understand any of this. But you get a quick,
    comprehensive education the first time yer involved in a sales tax
    audit. If yer in business, I'm surprised this hasn't happened
    already.
    Check with the state...or any state auditor. Ask him if they ignore
    it! lol
    Corporations are people, too! lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 1, 2003
  10. Never heard of a use tax. Either none of the states I've lived in
    happened to be ones that had a use tax or I was blissfully ignorant of
    it when I lived there. I've lived in Alaska for the past 20 years
    though-perhaps this use tax is as recent a development as the Internet?

    Or maybe it's a 'back-East' thing. I'll admit that I don't pay a hell of
    a lot of attention to what those queers back East do. (I'm talking about
    the ones in charge-I'm sure there are plenty of normal people living
    back East too, but they never seem to make the news up here.)

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 1, 2003
  11. DeMoN LaG

    Trent© Guest

    1. You top posted.

    2. I only assumed that a sales tax audit would not be done in a state
    that does not have a sales tax law. Duh!

    3. You need to learn how to read for comprehension.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 1, 2003
  12. Yes, and I should have been more careful in my choice of words. I
    *planned* abolishment of the income & sales taxes is one thing.
    Destroying them by sabotage is another. IMO before the latter leads to
    the former it will first go thru a period of repressive enforcement with
    more confusing laws & rules and harsher punishments for not obeying
    those rules and more 'police state' methods for detecting the
    disobedience. With modern technology this period of repressive
    enforcement is apt to be successful enough that we will never emerge
    from it into the hoped-for period of abolishment.

    Look at today's Homeland Security for a pattern.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 1, 2003
  13. DeMoN LaG

    Mr. Majestik Guest

    With modern technology this period of repressive
    True, which is why it's so important to remember the past. A law is
    unenforceable when enough people refuse to comply. Most of our social change
    happened with "refusals to comply" not by an ignorant politician that saw
    the light. Sure, the first to protest bear the burden of the worst
    punishment, but if no one does then all we have is another banana
    dictatorship.

    "The tree of liberty must, from time to time, be replenished with the blood
    of patriots"

    From memory.............either Patrick Henry or Thomas Jefferson.

    Mr. Majestik, Nov 1, 2003
  14. It might be interesting to see what purchases it's *voluntarily* paid
    on-if that's possible. When I lived in southern Washington state it was
    very common to cross the border into Oregon to buy your cars. Washington
    had a sales tax & Oregon didn't. Washington did collect the 'sales tax'
    though-when you licensed your car in Washington. (Technically, you were
    supposed to do this within 30 days after you brought the car into the
    state. Some people ignored the 30 day rule, but the only people I know
    who were able to *keep* their car licensed in Oregon were those who had
    relatives who lived there. Most people had to pay the tax-whatever it
    was called it was a sales tax because it was based on the value of the
    car-when the Oregon registration expired, if not sooner.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 1, 2003
  15. DeMoN LaG

    Dale Guest

    It was Thomas Jefferson and he was defending the French Revolution. There
    is move in The US Congress to make the current band permanent

    --
    Be good and if you can't be good then be good at it.

    Dale
    Home: Ellenwood GA
    Camera: HP Photosmart 320
    Software: PS7
    "Say Not, "I have found the truth," but rather "I have found a truth."
    Kahill Gibran from The Prophet

    Dale, Nov 1, 2003
  16. DeMoN LaG

    Thor Guest

    First of all, you are referring to businesses. Not individual consumers.
    Regular consumers do not face sales tax audits. Businesses do by nature of
    their role as sales tax collectors, and reseller status. And the use tax for
    businesses is scrutinized because otherwise it is easy for people holding a
    retail business license to make all manner of purchases tax-free. Individual
    consumers are not bound by any threat of penalty or enforcement to pay the
    use tax. There is no enforcement or penalty mechanism in Ohio law that
    forces a consumer to pay the use tax. It is paid on a voluntary basis by a
    voluntary remittance form. Basically, by law you are supposed to pay it, but
    since it is not enforced by any threat of penalty, it is *voluntary*.

    Thor, Nov 1, 2003
  17. DeMoN LaG

    Thor Guest

    Practically every state that has a sales tax, has a use tax. The point is
    that from a consumer's standpoint, it's pretty much unenforceable, and most
    people are unaware of it's existence. How does the state prove what
    purchases you made each year, and whether they were taxable? They would have
    to research every business's sales records that you interacted with to check
    whether you were charged sales tax. So, the states pretty much leave it up
    to voluntary compliance.

    Thor, Nov 1, 2003
  18. JC Allison:
    "Current band"?

    ~~~AllisonWonderland~~~, Nov 1, 2003
  19. DeMoN LaG

    Dale Guest

    current ban

    Dale, Nov 1, 2003
  20. Arguable. IMO most of our social change has occurred from a combination
    of people who have 'protested' in the courts & people who have
    influenced politicians to join them.

    Of course court cases often start with disobedience. But for a protest
    of income or sales taxes to fall into this category you must not only
    disobey the tax lawes but do so publicly & thus invite prosecution.

    If you believe in an issue you should do so publicly & proudly.

    not by an ignorant politician that saw

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 1, 2003