  1. thingy

    impossible Guest

    No, they're not mainstream. And your point is....?

    impossible, Dec 1, 2007

  2. thingy

    impossible Guest

    And your point is...? A stock AMD X2 6000+ will perform as well.
    Believe it or not, overclocking is not a mainstream hobby -- most people buy
    cpus for the stock speed. And frankly it's pretty silly to talk about any of
    the dual core or quad core processors nowadays not having "real speed".
    The Intel dual cores do not perform markedly better than AMD's on most
    real-world tests. I've previously cited Tom's Hardware benchmarks on the
    E6750 and X26000+, which I urge you to review. If youi can find any evidence
    contradicting these test, I'd be happy to look at it.
    There are already "extreme" versions of intel's first-gen quads that leave
    the best dual cores for dead. Such is life.

    impossible, Dec 1, 2007

  3. thingy

    Nighthawk Guest

    ATI's latest, the HD 3870 x2 must be a pretty potent card, surely.
    ATI are intelligently targeting mainstream users first. It is said
    that the HD 3850 will be a popular choice for OEM builders. Already
    some brands have announced overclocked versions.

    It is really only hardcore gamers that will want the higher
    performance cards while most will be happy with a card that is good
    enough for general use including reasonably high-end gaming. Look how
    many computers are sold with integrated video. I have been using a
    64MB Radeon 7500 for years and it is fully adequate for my needs.
    When I get around to building my new computer some time in the next
    six months I will go for a Radeon HD 3850, partly because I will need
    a PCI-e card, and it will be able to drive large panels with high
    quality video and still put in a good performance for an occasional
    game, not that I am into first person shooter type games. The
    percentage of computer users who will fork out for a high-end gaming
    card is small.

    The chip codenamed RV670 is the HD 3870. It is currently unsure
    whether the rumoured RV680 is the HD 3870 x2 or a higher performance
    GPU still to come. Given the positive reaction by the industry to the
    new cards, especially the HD 3850, I think ATI is going to do well.

    Nighthawk, Dec 1, 2007
  4. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb impossible typed:
    Ok, nice of you to be frank. I'll leave you to it then. Buh-bye.

    ~misfit~, Dec 2, 2007