interconnecting wifi routers.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by xor, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. xor

    xor Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a question.
    I've just bought a new router to replace my Belkin adsl modem/switch/wifi
    ap.
    I bought a similar model,philips.
    actually,the philips is better,i can configure subnets and rip etc.
    Looking in the router table,i wanted to hook up both routers,wich i did
    using a lan cable,they would share the dsl connection.

    Now,this is fine,but i am sharing my wlan with my cousin,across the
    street.
    problem is,he has this crappy laptop,wich doesn't even have a pcmcia
    card,so i can't buy a card with seperate antenne ,nor can i attach a
    seperate antenna on the routers.

    So,my question is if it is possible to put my old router at his place,and
    interconnect them thru wifi ?
    Or perhaps an older laptop to recieve the wlan signal,and let the newer
    laptop connect on it using ad hoc,to share the internet ?

    Any comment will be appreciated :)
    xor

    xor, Jan 26, 2006

  2. Doug Sherman [MVP], Jan 27, 2006