    the ports on both module as switch port (layer 2).

    Thanks in advance!

    Frank

    fzhu007, May 20, 2005

  2. :I have a Catalyst6506 cisco switch and two 10GB modules installed in
    :the slot 1 and slot 2 in the switch. Each 10GB module has 4 ports. If I
    :want to commnication between one port in on module to
    : another port in another moudle, how do I make this kind of
    :communication work without linking two modules with cables?

    It should happen automatically if the two are members of the same
    VLAN or if the two ports are configured for routing.

    :Is there a way to do this with setup/configuration? I configure
    :the ports on both module as switch port (layer 2).

    It sounds to me as if what you want to do is configure them to be
    part of the same bridge-group .

    Walter Roberson, May 20, 2005

  3. fzhu007

    fzhu007 Guest

    Actually, they both belong to default vlan id 1, but they couldn't
    communicate each other.

    fzhu007, May 20, 2005
  4. :Actually, they both belong to default vlan id 1, but they couldn't
    :communicate each other.

    You should quote for context.

    Two layer 2 ports that are part of the same vlan will not communicate
    with each other unless they are part of the same bridge group.

    Walter Roberson, May 20, 2005
  5. Yes they will; provided that the vlan exists in the switch. Depending
    on the IOS version, one might need to enter the "vlan database" mode, or
    simply config mode to create the vlan.

    Francois Labreque, May 23, 2005
  6. fzhu007

    anybody43 Guest

    I read about this the other day. CCNP looms:(

    The use of bridge groups may result in software
    switching and is discouraged on catalyst "switches".
    BTW There is something called fallback bridging.

    On the 6500 ports can either be routed ports or "switchports". IIRC
    on the 6500 the default is routed AND shutdown.

    You will need to issue the commands "switchport", "switchport
    mode access" and "no shut", I would guess,
    on each interface. Unless you want trunks in which case
    miss out the "switchport mode access" bit.

    Think I will pass my CCNP switching bit?

    Q: What's the difference between a switch and a router.
    A: One is stamped "Catalyst", the other isn't.

    anybody43, May 23, 2005