Intenet connection intermittently 'dropping out'.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by LPS-AU, Aug 4, 2007.

  1. LPS-AU

    LPS-AU Guest

    I am losing my broadband internet connection intermittently. It was first
    noticed with the laptop losing the connection (wireless) but then I realized
    that the desktop PC was also loosing the connection.
    When the connection is lost initially, the 'Local Area Connection' still
    shows the speed as 100Mbps and the status as 'Connected', however if the
    connection is down for a while, then the message changes to: "This computer
    is not currently connected to a network". At this time my Netgear wireless
    modem/router (DG834G v2) lights are showing power on, i lamp flashing
    normally with normal colour, and the cable connection (#4 desktop
    connection) also flashing normally. The NetworkMagic software Log, also
    shows that the PC has lost connection but unfortunately it does not identify
    the cause. Looking in the 'Computer Management -System Tools- Event
    Viewer - System information (log), I found the following errors listed (I
    don't want to mislead the diagnosis on the basis that a little knowledge can
    be a dangerous thing), but the following are the error messages that seem to
    relate to network connection problems.

    This error occurred 25 times from 12th July until today 2nd Aug.

    The IP address lease 192.168.0.2 for the Network Card with network address
    001109F317B1 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.0.1 (The DHCP Server
    sent a DHCPNACK message).

    For more information, see Help and Support Centre at

    This warning occurred two times on 29th July

    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the
    DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001109F317B1. The
    following error occurred:

    The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to
    try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

    For more information, see Help and Support Centre at

    Not sure if they are in any way significant to my "line/internet dropouts"
    or not, but perhaps they are a clue to where I should look for the problem.
    The dropouts vary in time and sometimes are so brief that they are not
    noticeable unless you attempt to update a web site or check for new mail at
    that particular time. I have been thinking that perhaps I should check the
    network card's contacts in the PC in case there is a bad contact or similar.
    But at this point not sure if my problem is modem/router, network card or PC
    related.

    The system is a 3.2GHz Intel, with 1GB of RAM and XP Home.

    Thanks for your assistance.

    LPS-AU, Aug 4, 2007

  2. LPS-AU

    Barb Bowman Guest

    there are several reasons why the netgear router might be denying
    leases. i'd look in the router logs to see what was happening on
    that side when these events took place. I'd also reboot/power cycle
    the router and consider resetting it to factory defaults again. also
    check to make sure you have the latest firmware for the router and
    drivers for the network cards.

    check to see if this is happening while these computers are
    attempting to go into or come out of a power management state (if
    this is happening after computers are idle, change the settings to
    not allow the computer to power down the network cards to save
    power).

    If someone is spoofing your MAC address and trying to attach to the
    wireless SSID, this could happen as well. or if you did not change
    the SSID name from the default, you might be trying to connect to
    someone elses network on the wireless side.

    not knowing what network magic adds to the equation (why did you
    install it?) you might want to uninstall it while trouble shooting
    this issue.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Aug 4, 2007

  3. LPS-AU

    LPS-AU Guest

    Thanks for your assistance Barb. I have replied under your questions.
    Cheers, Peter.
    *****************

    I have rebooted and repowered the modem/router several times.
    Following is yesterdays router log:
    Sun, 2002-09-08 12:00:40 - Initialize LCP.

    Sun, 2002-09-08 12:00:40 - LCP is allowed to come up.

    Sun, 2002-09-08 12:00:44 - CHAP authentication success

    Sun, 2002-09-08 12:00:46 - Send out NTP request to time-g.netgear.com

    Sun, 2007-08-05 06:12:31 - Receive NTP Reply from time-g.netgear.com

    Sun, 2007-08-05 06:12:45 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2

    Sun, 2007-08-05 06:11:45 - Router start up

    Sun, 2007-08-05 06:34:22 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2

    Sun, 2007-08-05 06:44:09 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2

    Sun, 2007-08-05 07:05:20 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2

    Sun, 2007-08-05 07:25:05 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2

    Sun, 2007-08-05 07:45:21 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2

    Sun, 2007-08-05 08:17:33 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2

    Sun, 2007-08-05 08:47:33 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2

    Have not reset to factory defaults but did upgrade the Firmware after the
    problem started.
    The problem shows up while it is being used and sometimes the outage is so
    brief that I only notice it if I am updating a web page or checking the
    mail.
    The SSID name is changed and have security on.
    Installed NetworkMagic when I wanted to connect my old PC (cable) and also a
    wireless laptop. I was having some problems and this solved the connection
    at the time. My disconnections started some weeks/months later.

    LPS-AU, Aug 6, 2007
  4. LPS-AU

    Barb Bowman Guest

    I see a line Router Start Up
    Is this when you power cycled the router?
    I don't see any requests for DHCP leases in the log (although what
    you posted is a very short period of time).

    do all computers go into the bad state at the same time? if yes,
    this would suggest an issue with the router itself.

    how long is the lease period set for?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP