Intel Sandy Bridge E Core i7 3960X vs 3930K - questions

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Netman, Aug 21, 2011.

  1. Netman

    Netman Guest

    Hello!

    I have read specification about two Intel Sandy Bridge E Core i7 processors:

    a) 3960X (L3 15 MB cache, 3,3 Ghz, 3,9 Ghz in Turbo Boost) - 900 $
    and
    b) 3930K (L3 12 MB cache, 3,2 Ghz, 3,8 Ghz in Turbo Boost) - 500 $

    Two differences between these two processors are:
    - 0,1 Ghz difference
    - 3 MB L3 cache difference

    I heard unofficial prices of these two processors and the difference is
    nearly half.

    Questions to you:
    1) Why will a) processor be so expensive?
    2) Is 0,1 Ghz and 3 MB cache better worth price?
    3) Will video rendering in Sony Vegas Pro be extremely better in the
    comparision
    to b) processor?
    4) So, will a) processor be worth buying? Will it be better to save nearly
    400 $
    and have only little worse processor b)?
    5) Maybe there is some invisible parameter which makes the a) processor so
    extreme
    as it used to be call, and maybe it is so extreme if we look at working
    efficiency?

    Thank you in advnace
    Netm.

    Netman, Aug 21, 2011

  2. Netman

    Paul Guest

    Is there a benchmark available for those processors yet ?

    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

    Wait until a benchmark is available, then see if there is
    $400 worth of value.

    My guess would be, the extra cache will be useless. But
    wait until you've seen a benchmark first.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 22, 2011

  3. Netman

    Netman Guest

    It will be released in Q4 2011, so there is no benchmark
    available yet.

    Netm.

    Netman, Aug 22, 2011
  4. Netman

    mBrane

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    According to the Desktop Processors section in Wikipedia's LGA 2011 article, the Core i7 Extreme 3960X and 3980X will have fully unlocked multiplers.

    Apparently, the Core i7 3930K will offer a limited unlock; purportedly, the multiplier will be locked at 57x.

    It's disappointing to read about some of the X79 chipset trade-offs Intel has been making, in order to release by Christmas (eg. SATA limitations and possibly delaying support for PCI Express 3.0).

    Check out this picture of a Gigabyte X79 board; notice that Intel requires RAM to be on both sides of the CPU, to keep the memory traces short. This will impact VRU coolers, for sure, so I'm not sure that I want to wait until the entire supply chain catches up. Heck, a new, high-performance, water-cooled, 2011 build could take you until the beginning of summer 2012! :frown:

    ... and, of course, the new Ivy Bridge processors will be out (end of Q2 or beginning of Q3 2012), but at some point you just have to pick it and stick it.

    Anyway, there ya go.

    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
    mBrane, Sep 5, 2011