Intel quad core due November!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Oct 1, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Oct 1, 2006

  2. thingy

    GraB Guest

    GraB, Oct 1, 2006

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    My understanding is Intel will only sell CPUS with a max heat foot print
    of 130w, so they should be no worse than the present generation....as
    you slow the clock the heat output drops dramatically....

    Unlike the extreme CPUs, quad core will be mainstream so expect quad
    cores to be similar to dual cores in $ terms from what I can see....

    I have not seen Intel's road map but it looks like they are cracking on
    the pace, so 8 core cannot be far off....

    Sun have their 32 core? T1 cpu, I dont think its clock is high, but for
    some applications that thrive on multiple, though relatively slow cpus
    it is supposed to give very good performance...

    So for now multiple clocks is the way.....50 cores within 5 years
    apparently all for the price of a dual core today....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 1, 2006
  4. thingy

    whome Guest

    whome, Oct 1, 2006
  5. thingy

    GraB Guest

    There is good stuff coming from AMD soon too with 65nm processors due
    December. There are claims that these processors will out-clock
    Intel's: http://theinq.net/default.aspx?article=31729

    Quad-core will be due around mid 2007. These will be native quad-core
    rather than two dual-core CPUs cobbled together in the same package as
    Intel are doing, which explains how Intel were so quick to get
    quadcore out.

    45nm comes in 08 and there is talk of 32 and 22nm.
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=15423

    GraB, Oct 2, 2006
  6. thingy

    whome Guest

    Core 2 duo should be enough for many years to come.

    Will be interesting to see how Amd steps up to the mark.

    whome, Oct 2, 2006
  7. thingy

    El Penguino Guest

    Mmmm, cobbled together? Just kind of hooked the CPUs up together and
    ironed out the problems in a weekend? :)

    El Penguino, Oct 2, 2006
  8. thingy

    thingy Guest

    If it works.....Xmas is coming...lots of sales.....when AMD ships it may
    well be a decent % faster, but Intel can cost cut appropriately....

    Gotta winder about cobbled together though....might be best left a month
    or two....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 2, 2006
  9. Apparently AMD currently holds the price/performance edge, and given that
    Intel is currently in the middle of laying off about 10,000 staff, it's
    hard to see how much more it can cut prices...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 6, 2006