    MHz. All these terms get confusing, even after reading up on the web. Simple
    layman's explanation devoid of computerese would help. ;-)

    Carol

    Carol, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Carol

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Centrino is a mobile package. The CPU in Centrino based laptops are
    Pentium Ms (as in, Pentium Mobile). Centrino just shows it has a Pentium
    M and built in wireless technology.
    Celerons are crippled Pentiums. Less cache, a much slower front side
    bus. Not really "good" for anything, but for office work they are more
    than adaquate.
    Multitasking is no easier on a Pentium than it is on a Celeron, or an AMD
    Athlon based chip.
    They didn't have any "problems", they just got outdated.
    You have a Pentium 4 based on the Northwood core. The tricky part is
    Intel now sells P4 2.53 ghz processors with 533mhz FSBs that are based on
    the Prescott core.

    DeMoN LaG, Jul 9, 2004

  3. Carol

    Stuart Guest

    Plus power saving capabilities.

    Or if you are on a budget.
    Yes, the OP seems to be ignoring AMD.
    The OP can also search google for a free program called wcpuid, this
    little program will show useful information regarding the chip, memory
    and mobo.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jul 9, 2004
  4. Carol