Intel Celeron 900 vs. AMD Semperon

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by zxcvbob, Aug 21, 2010.

  1. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging
    HP that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6"
    form-factor of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3".
    (Yea! cheaper for me)

    The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
    machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
    other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory.
    Both have Windows 7 Home Premium.

    The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM.
    I'm thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler
    and will run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The
    biggest battery hog is probably the backlighting for that big
    screen, so maybe the processor doesn't matter so much. What do the
    Experts recommend?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    zxcvbob, Aug 21, 2010

  2. zxcvbob

    Dan C Guest

    Both of those processors are absolute pieces of shit. Look around and
    don't get anything less than a Core2Duo.

    Dan C, Aug 21, 2010

  3. zxcvbob

    Buffalo Guest

    Are you considering the Compaq CQ62-210US?
    I have a friend that mainly wants, email, some program to type her 'momoirs'
    on and a built in CD\DVD recorder so that she can save her memoirs and
    something she could listen to music on and possibly watch a movie on (DVD).
    Anyhow, Office Depot has it on sale for $319.99 after an Insant Rebate of
    $100.00 and a mail-in rebate of $30.00.
    In case you are price oriented, I'd thought I'd mention it.
    Yes, although the Celeron 900 runs at around 2.2GHz and is not real
    powerful, it will be more than enough for my female friend.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Aug 21, 2010
  4. zxcvbob

    Buffalo Guest

    Can you give me a lead on where I could find such Laptops with a bright
    clear display?
    Thanks,
    Buffalo
    (Must have a Windows 7 OS)

    Buffalo, Aug 21, 2010
  5. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Actually, it's a Compaq CQ60-615DX and a HP G61-429wm, and they are
    both less than $400 but not much less.

    I looked at officeDepot.com and didn't see any $100 rebate. Maybe
    it's expired. I'll stop by the local OD or Staples (I don't
    remember which it is) tomorrow.

    Bob

    zxcvbob, Aug 21, 2010
  6. zxcvbob

    Buffalo Guest

    Actually it starts on the 22nd and I got it in an email from OD.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Aug 21, 2010
  7. zxcvbob

    The Watcher Guest

    Is "wifey" a term of endearment? I suspect not,

    The processors are garbage. Dan C is correct.

    The Watcher, Aug 21, 2010
  8. zxcvbob

    Mat Guest

    Mat, Aug 21, 2010
  9. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    No, that's her actual name (why I capitalized it.)

    Best regards, ;-)
    Bob

    zxcvbob, Aug 21, 2010
  10. zxcvbob

    Meat Plow Guest

    I would not settle for anything less than an AMD Turion x64 dual core.
    If I had to make the choice between the Intel or AMD chip I'd chose the
    AMD. Most bang for the buck. Also would buy a laptop with ADM Vision
    technology.

    Meat Plow, Aug 21, 2010
  11. zxcvbob

    Meat Plow Guest

    Meat Plow, Aug 21, 2010
  12. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    I think this one is supposed to go on sale next week for $400:
    <http://www.staples.com/Acer-Aspire-AS5741Z-5433-15.6-Laptop/product_884281>

    Same as the $350 one I looked at today at Staples, but more memory,
    dual-core processor, slightly bigger hard drive, and HDMI output.

    Staples was cheaper than Sam's Club. I should have checked Best Buy
    while I was on that end of town.

    Bob

    zxcvbob, Aug 21, 2010
  13. zxcvbob

    Dan C Guest

    No, actually you're just stupid.

    Dan C, Aug 22, 2010
  14. zxcvbob

    Buffalo Guest

    Buffalo, Aug 22, 2010
  15. zxcvbob

    Meat Plow Guest

    Actually what passes for wit in his bizarro-microcosm is:

    Formatting your hard drive will solve all your problems.
    Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me"

    Now that's quality wit I tell you. Ready to share the Stand Up Comic
    stage with the likes of Dennis Leary, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock etc...

    Meat Plow, Aug 22, 2010
  16. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Sure enough, they were on sale for $399 today. I bought one; spent
    about a half an hour moving her stuff from the old machine (didn't take
    as long as I expected.) At least one old software package won't run on
    64-bit windows -- it runs just fine on my 32-bit Windows 7 netbook. I
    haven't started looking for 64-bit printer drivers yet, but that might
    be interesting.

    I think I may have outsmarted myself; that $350 laptop ($450 today)
    probably comes with 32-bit Windows 7 installed.

    Bob

    zxcvbob, Aug 22, 2010
  17. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    I checked and that other "contender" laptop also had 64-bit Windows, so
    I didn't screw that up after all. But that still doesn't fix my
    situation. I checked with Acer and they said I'd have to buy a retail
    copy of Win7-32, but they didnt recommend that because I might have
    problems with drivers for the onboard peripherals. But I could check
    their web site first and see if 32-bit drivers were available.

    The main printer that she uses has a proprietary GDI driver, and Sharp
    not only doesnt have a 64 bit driver for it, they are *smug* about not
    having updated driver. But maybe a driver for a current model Sharp GDI
    printer will work. Meanwhile there *is* a Postscript printer available
    in the basement if she really has to print something.

    Next big question is will Office 97 run on 64-bit Windows? I'm not sure
    I can get her to switch to OpenOffice or Symphony, and I've already
    spent my whole budget. At least I didnt scrap her old machine, so she
    can use that until I get this one configured right.

    Bob

    zxcvbob, Aug 23, 2010
  18. zxcvbob

    Buffalo Guest