Intel Application Accelerator and slow HD performance

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimmy Dean, Jul 10, 2006.

  1. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    I once had an Intel system P4 2+ GHz 256+MB RAM which was dead slow -
    5 mins to boot XPHome and problems setting a pagefile - always had a
    value to 0 MB and Windows used a temporary one.

    Then I discovered IAA and the system went from being on on Valium to
    being on Steriods. Booted in less than a minute and applications
    similarly loaded much much faster.

    Now am plagued with slow Seagate ST340015A HD performance on ECS
    L4S5MG/651+(V5.0A) mobo with P4 2.4GHz/256 MB/XPHsp2, but after
    installing SiS Mini IDE Driver 2.04a there is no noticeable
    improvement. 40GB HD about a quarter full - says it is using UDMA5.
    All seems OK in BIOS.

    Taking hours to defragment (didn't really need, only a few percent
    fragmented), I believe because the HD is just very very slow.

    Drive is only 5400 rpm 12.5 ms seek but I have older drives running
    say 98SE which fly in comparision.

    XP system is well maintained and free of viruses and spyware.

    Once XP has fully started performance is acceptable - the real bottle
    neck seems to be getting data off the HD into menory.

    Helpful comments welcome

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jul 10, 2006