    prospects, then send high-res files on CDR's to buyers.)

    Am I being too cautious, denying myself a service that I would like to
    have? Anyone with experience/advice along this line?

    One4All, Dec 4, 2005

  2. One4All

    Stewy Guest

    Have you sold a picture? In what way would you consider a picture
    marketable? - as a screensaver, framed print or with a picture library?

    The cash value of any picture is determined by what the buyer is willing
    to pay not what the seller thinks its worth.

    There is a lot of software out there (free and otherwise) for producing
    calendars, what you need is at least an A3 printer, preferably A2 or the
    services of some company like Shutterfly. If you really don't want your
    pictures used by another then don't give them away to your family or
    anyone else for that matter.

    Stewy, Dec 4, 2005

  3. One4All

    One4All Guest

    Forget the saleability stuff. Sorry I mentioned it. This time of year
    people are uploading images to online processors for cards, calendars,
    albums, etc., to use as gifts. Obviously, we want to upload our best
    stuff, some of which may be marketable, whether according to our own
    vanity or perceived by someone on staff at the processor.

    What I want to know is whether anyone has any advice/experience re: the
    trustworthiness of these processors. Should the buyer beware?

    One4All, Dec 7, 2005
  4. One4All

    Ray Fischer Guest

    I was considering www.snapfish.com for printing photos until I read
    this gen in the agreement...

    Accordingly, as a condition to your Membership, you hereby grant
    Snapfish a perpetual, universal, non-exclusive, royalty-free right
    to copy, display, modify, transmit, make derivative works of and
    distribute your Content, solely for the purpose of providing the
    Service. As a condition to Membership, you represent and warrant
    to Snapfish that you either own your Content or have written
    permission from the copyright owner to make such Content available
    to the Service.

    Sorry, but I do not see how SnapFish/HP needs ownership of my photos
    in order to make prints.

    Ray Fischer, Dec 10, 2005
  5. One4All

    Bill Funk Guest

    I don't see them asking for ownership, but only for those rights
    necessary "for the purpose of providing the Service."
    The rights they are asking for are non-exclusive (which rules out
    ownership right there), and cover those things that need to be done to
    provide the service the user asks Snapfish to perform.
    And Snapfish limits those rights "*SOLEY* (emphasis mine) for the
    purpose of providing the Service."
    I don't see that as ownership of the images.
    I can understand the idea that the rights asked for *could* be used
    for other purposes than to merely provide the services the users ask
    for, except that in this case Snapfish specifically limits their
    rights to what's needed to provide that service.

    I have seen other sites that actually say they have, by virtue of the
    user providing images, the actual ownership of those images, and the
    user has no right to make any claim against the service for use of
    those images.
    I think Snapfish got it pretty right here.

    Bill Funk, Dec 10, 2005