Integrating Frame Relay and DSL - which router?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by =?iso-8859-2?Q?Jan_Werbi=F1ski?=, Jul 16, 2005.

  1. Which router?

    One or two symmetric frame relay 2000/2000 and one or two 2000/256 DSL.
    Routing, bandwidth managing, authorisation on another LAN machine(s).

    I want to share some traffic to every provider without load balancing
    feature (which doubles the costs in my case). I want to have one or two 100
    Mbps ethernet LAN ports. Cisco will act only as a simple V.35-ethernet
    adapter and do some simple routing, qos, etc... Nice to have is automatic
    switching of all traffic from dead WAN to other provider.
    I need:
    - minimum 25 000 pps real traffic which is about 40-50 kpps of what written
    in the tech specs,
    - 2 V.35 ports,
    - 2 ethernet WAN full duplex, ports
    - 1-2 ethernet LAN 100 Mbps, full duplex ports
    - SSH instead of telnet.

    Currently I use old 2501 but on one 2/2 Mbps link I have about 50-60% CPU
    use.

    I'm cisco beginner and my types are:
    17xx
    26xx series
    26xxXM
    36xx - 3640
    47xx

    So which router and how much memory do I need?
    Thanks

    =?iso-8859-2?Q?Jan_Werbi=F1ski?=, Jul 16, 2005

  2. =?iso-8859-2?Q?Jan_Werbi=F1ski?=

    BradReeseCom Guest

    BradReeseCom, Jul 16, 2005

  3. Hi,

    I would go for a 2800 series router, for example the 2811 or larger. Then
    add the required WIC's for your frame and dsl connections (1x WIC-2T and 2x
    WIC-1ADSL...). With the security featurepack the router supports SSH.
    Ask your providers to provide you a BGP default-route (or default-route +
    local nets) in order to implement the dead-WAN-failover. Failover can also
    be implemented using the SAA if you like, then you don't need the BGP
    default-route.

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, Jul 17, 2005