    I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks

    Chris
    A+, Network+

    Chris E, Aug 12, 2003

  2. There should be something in the BIOS settings for you to disable your
    onboard video card, if not I wouldn't suggest buying a MB from that company
    again. Look under like Advanced setup.

    Philip

    C. Philip Cutler II, Aug 12, 2003

  3. What make and model of motherboard/system? Have you checked
    documentation to see if and how the onboard video can be disabled?
    There could perhaps be a key combination that will do this, for
    example.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 12, 2003
  4. Chris E

    Ghost Guest

    Look at the large capacitors surrounding the CPU... if the tops are even
    slightly swollen, or just a dot of brown leakage, you found your problem.

    Ghost, Aug 12, 2003
  5. Chris E

    Ghost Guest

    Actually, few mobos I have ever seen have such a jumper... and then,
    mostly the older ones...

    Ghost, Aug 13, 2003
  6. Chris E

    Chris E Guest

    The mobo is a MicroStar Model MS-6312. There is only one jumper on the
    board. It is a second-hand PC and the owner has no documentation and I have
    been able to find only VERY limited info online. There doesn't seem to be
    any leakage or swelling of capacitors. The BIOS may be able to bypass the
    onboard video, but I don't have any currnet video to see the BIOS.

    Chris
    A+, Network+

    Chris E, Aug 13, 2003
  7. Chris E

    Tony Sivori Guest

    Are you seeing many boards with bad caps? Do you ever repair them, or do
    you always just swap out the mainboard?

    Tony Sivori, Aug 14, 2003
  8. Must have over-read that part of his post. oopss :p

    Philip

    C. Philip Cutler II, Aug 14, 2003
  9. Chris E

    birddog Guest

    Would swollen capacitors also make the computer not power up. I also
    have this motherboard and the two large capacitors behind the meg
    chips are swollen out on top and my computer will start to power up
    then it stops. Could the capacitors be causing this
    ==============

    birddog, Oct 26, 2003
  10. Chris E

    Geoff Guest

    yup
    if you are good you can replace them, if not, buy a new motherboard

    Geoff, Oct 26, 2003
  11. Chris E

    RussS Guest

    ahhhh - YES.

    I won't get too technical, but a capacitor builds an electrical charge.
    When they 'blow' they are unable to reach the parameters needed to make the
    device they are connected to work. They can also work well enough to let a
    device operate, but as they heat up they cause the device to fail - many
    time this is a cause of motherboards continually shutting down for no
    apparent reason.

    RussS, Oct 26, 2003

  12. Yup, swollen caps can cause all kinds of problems. They are a known
    problem on ABIT Motherboards (they got a bunch of defective ones from
    their supplier).

    You MAY be able to replace them - if you have soldering experience.
    That said, since most MB's are multi-layered things, it can be tough.

    Since the thing doesn't work as-is....you may be willing to take the
    chance. I'd try it if I was ready to write the thing off as dead
    anyway - then what do you have to lose?

    I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.

    (sigh) Address altered against Spam.

    Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Oct 26, 2003
  13. Absolutely. Get the motherboard replaced or repaired, from you
    description the caps are bad, and there is some chance of a catastrophic
    explosion that could do quite a bit of damage to the PC (and anyone who
    is nearby and in the way if the case is open).

    Barry Watzman, Oct 27, 2003
  14. Chris E

    David Hough Guest

    To replace it, look it over see if you can read any of the markings.
    The cap will have a voltage rating and a capacity in MFDs. Also, it
    could be a polar, in which case it will have a red dot or a + sign.
    Make a note of it before you start. Use a clean, tinned soldering tip.
    Get on the board and off it before you do heat damage.

    David Hough, Oct 27, 2003
  15. Chris E

    Ghost Guest

    err.. ya think??? lol

    This has been a long standing problem... sub-standard capacitors used in
    building mobos...

    The mobo is toast unless you replace the capacitors- then it *SHOULD* work
    fine..

    Ghost, Oct 28, 2003
  16. Many times a large capacitor swollen on top is okay, because that is
    the way they are made. This primarily includes those capacitors that
    have a plastic top, not the ones with the metal tops, and I am
    referring to very large capacitors. If they are swollen AND bad, they
    indeed could be causing the computer to not power up.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 29, 2003
  17. I have seen lots of fragments in my years of doing consumer
    electronics, and, while it isn't a danger to life and limb, that
    plastic cover flying through the air could do some eye damage.
    Generally that's only going to happen if it is put in backwards,
    though. :)
    One of the best tests of a capacitor is an ESR test, and that requires
    special equipment; either an ESR meter or a square wave source and an
    oscilloscope. As you say, the desoldering of a multi-layer board also
    pretty-much requires special equipment as well, such as a
    constant-suction desoldering station.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 29, 2003
  18. That is one of the main tests we always did to ferret out
    electrolytics that otherwise tested good. We had a dedicated ESR
    tester for in-circuit, and also a Sencore LC-102 which tested value,
    ESR, absorption, and one other that slips my mind, as well as testing
    cables, coils, and a few other things.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 29, 2003
  19. Of course, the other test for electrolytics was leakage.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 31, 2003
  20. The problem is that the ESR of a capacitor isolates the filtering
    capability of the capacitor from the voltage to be filtered, rendering
    it less effective. Hand held capacitor value checkers I have used in
    the past have actually sometimes demonstrated a tendency to identify a
    high-ESR capacitor as having above rated value. My theory about that
    is that they use an RC circuit and time the charge rate to calculate
    the value (assuming zero ESR), and the extra R makes the capacitor
    charge more slowly, which adds to the apparent capacitance...my
    theory.
    The dedicated, in-circuit ESR tester we used was able to find shorted
    capacitors also. You're right; although shorts are rare, they really
    kill a filter capacitor. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 31, 2003