integrated hardware workaround?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jbseventyone, Oct 20, 2006.

  1. jbseventyone

    jbseventyone Guest

    Hello Techies,

    I get loud popping noises in my sound, and a M.S. game fails to launch,
    claiming
    that I don't have enough memory on my system to play the game. The only
    way I can
    play is if I restart the pc. But when the game does run, it has good
    smooth graphics,
    at around 85 to 100fps. All other games work fine too.

    Here's what I have installed:
    WindowsXP Media Center Edition. (SP2)
    AMD Sempron 3100 processor (1.8GHz, 1600MHz system bus, 256KB L2
    cache),
    (x86 Family 15 Model 44 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1808 Mhz)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 Chipset,
    1,536MB DDR memory (1 × 512MB)+(1 x 1024MB) 400MHz (PC3200) Expandable
    to 2GB,
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 GPU Up to 128MB of shared video memory (open GL
    supported)
    6-channel (5.1) AC'97 audio
    10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
    page file size is currently 2.2GB.
    etc etc

    Also the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, sound card, graphics
    card, and USB
    ports are all integrated into the motherboad, so I won't be able to
    remove any of
    this hardware.

    I downloaded and intalled all windows updates, searched for and
    installed
    all software drivers for the processor, soundcard, and graphics. I also
    downloaded k-lite mega codec pack, and installed all of the codecs for
    playback,
    (for just in case) incuding Indeo5.
    and DirectX 9.0c is also installed.

    For a short time I had to use a pci ethernet card, (disabled the
    original network
    card to do so), so I could connect to the internet to locate a driver,
    and it worked great.

    I think my problem is in the shared video memory, and I have extra PCI
    Express (PCI-E x16)
    slots available, so could I do the same for better graphics card and
    sound card replacements?

    or did I buy a bum pc?

    Thanks,
    James

    jbseventyone, Oct 20, 2006

  2. jbseventyone

    James Guest

    Hi,
    Sorry about all of the ® symbols which makes my post look like an
    advertisement, I didn't see them when I copy/pasted the specs.
    James

    James, Oct 20, 2006

  3. jbseventyone

    Pennywise Guest

    For popping sound, reducing the sound acceleration has been known to
    work.

    Start | Run <type in> dxdiag <enter> Under the sound tab.

    Not sure if this would keep the game from crashing tho.

    Pennywise, Oct 20, 2006
  4. jbseventyone

    James Guest

    Hi, and thanks for the advice,
    I turn down the acceleration to standard acceleration,
    and turned down the volume output to medium, and the
    poping noise went away. It makes my speakers quieter,
    but it's better that it's not popping anymore.

    The game's title is Combat Flight Simulator 2, and I
    used to play it on my older pc, which had XP too, but
    a lot less memory. I bought a 1 gig memory card thinking
    that I would get rid of the memory error, but that didn't
    work. This has me believing that my current graphics card
    with 128 shared memory, just isn't enough to handle certain
    games, or it's just incompaptable.

    Anyways, is there anyone out there that would know if it is
    possible to safely add a second graphics card to a system
    and to disable the current graphics card already built in?

    Thanks,
    James.

    James, Oct 20, 2006