Instructions for protecting your Windows computer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Joe Bloggs, May 1, 2004.

  1. Joe Bloggs

    Joe Bloggs Guest

    Joe Bloggs, May 1, 2004

  2. Joe Bloggs

    Peter Guest

    You might be right. One of MS's criticisms of open source software is that
    it doesn't come with full indemnity. Surely they wouldn't be so
    hypocritical as to say that if MS wasn't providing full indemnity, would
    they?

    Peter

    Peter, May 1, 2004

  3. Joe Bloggs

    Steven H Guest

    go figure!
    use your brain
    ffs, the webpage CANT do anything, it is just some formatting tags for gods
    sake!

    insted what they do is have you download & run a signed active x control
    which does the job for you.

    moron

    Steven H, May 2, 2004
  4. Its geared towards the novice home user.
    Matt, you're living up to your name.

    Note the words on the original post : Novice home user.

    Q: Is that you ?

    Cry all you like about your OS not being listed for a page helping novice
    home users. Chances are, any novice home user wouldn't grasp the concept of
    newsgroups anyway !

    [email protected]#$%^&*()_+

    Sideshow Bob : "Attempted murder, really, what is that? Do they give a Nobel
    Prize for attempted chemistry?"

    Waylon Smithers, May 2, 2004
  5. Joe Bloggs

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    What you're seeing there is an example of how ActiveX controls work,
    and just how little people understand the MS security concept.

    You have to give permission before anyone can turn your firewall off.
    MS do say that they don't sell or supply firewalls, and give plenty of
    links to vendors of firewalls that do filter outbound packets.
    A third party can only configure your firewall if you give them
    explicit permission to do so. MS configuring your firewall is really
    no different an action to them updating your PC via Windows update.

    Personally I don't think it's a bad idea, anything to get the novice
    more secure is a good thing IMO. Unfortunately MS security relies on
    the user understanding what certificates are about, and I've yet to
    meet a 'typical user' who's able to fully grasp the concept.

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, May 2, 2004
  6. Joe Bloggs

    Divine Guest

    Well, it was a publication by the company that developed Micro$oft Windows
    aimed at persons using Micro$oft Windows.

    If you are using some other OS, such as FreeBSD or any distribution of
    Linux, then you should read documentation developed for that particular OS.

    Divine

    Divine, May 2, 2004
  7. Joe Bloggs

    AD. Guest

    Hehe, it's hard enough for the 'typical IT person' to fully grasp the
    concept of certificates :)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., May 2, 2004
  8. Dumbkiwi
    If you have to download software to enable this, well any OS can have a
    program downloaded that will change settings in that computer.

    Most likely a config web page will ask you to approve the installation of
    software that will make the changes.

    Patrick Dunford, May 2, 2004
  9. Joe Bloggs

    Dumbkiwi Guest

    It doesn't have my operating system. What now?

    Apparently, one of the options is that you can have the site change your
    settings automatically - I haven't tested this, because I don't use
    Windows, but:

    If Microsoft can configure your firewall via a web page, how secure IS
    their OS. Why would you take advice on security from a company that
    allows people to configure YOUR firewall on YOUR computer via a web page.
    I hope I'm wrong about how this works, but that just seems like the
    antithesis of security. If MS can turn your firewall on via the web,
    what's to stop people turning it off?

    Second point, is that the MS firewall doesn't do anything about outbound
    traffic, or have they updated that? If not, they should not be
    recommending the MS firewall at all. I personally think firewalls are a
    waste of time (see my earlier posts), but if you're going to use one, at
    least use one that can be configured to filter/block outbound packets.

    Does MS stand by this advice. If I follow it, and suffer from a malware
    attack, can I sue MS? From reviewing this security advice, it is woefully
    inadequate - and a third party being able to configure your firewall via
    the net is just beyond scary - please tell me I'm wrong about that,
    otherwise these guys just have no clue about security.

    Dumbkiwi, May 2, 2004
  10. Joe Bloggs

    Dumbkiwi Guest

    As I said, I couldn't test it. Hence the question.
    Super. that's all I asked.
    A moron who can at least answer a question civilly.

    Dumbkiwi, May 2, 2004
  11. Joe Bloggs

    Steven H Guest

    no your question & tone was intended to be flame bait.

    Steven H, May 2, 2004