    setting a "Restore Point" before the installation will enable me to go
    back to my previous version of XP?

    Thanks for your help.

    DayBreak, Jul 28, 2006

  2. DayBreak

    Toolman Tim Guest

    DayBreak wrote:
    > I've recently downloaded "WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe," from
    > download.microsoft.com, which is supposed to be the Service Pack 2
    > patch for XP Home. (Please correct me if this is not the correct
    > file.)

    That is what you need. Why have you waited so long? It's been out for MANY
    MOONS.

    > I've read a few things that suggest that some people have created
    > nightmares in their systems by installing SP2.

    I've installed the SP2 on over 50 varying systems, and never had one
    problem. Not ONE. My thinking on this issue is the PC had PROBLEMS to start
    with, and the user didn't fix the problems before attempting to install SP2.
    Kind of like upgrading a buggered version of Windows 9x to XP - the problems
    in the system are simply carried over to the new OS, and exacerbated by the
    changes.

    > Having had my share of nightmares in the past, I was wondering if
    > setting a "Restore Point" before the installation will enable me to go
    > back to my previous version of XP?

    While SP2 has an 'uninstall' option, I wouldn't trust it. Nor do I trust
    system restore. Do a backup of your data, settings, email, downloaded files,
    etc. first.

    Also, make sure the system is CLEAN - run your AV scan, check for trojans,
    hijackers, etc. before doing the SP2.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 28, 2006

  3. DayBreak

    DayBreak Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:33:07 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >DayBreak wrote:
    >> I've recently downloaded "WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe," from
    >> download.microsoft.com, which is supposed to be the Service Pack 2
    >> patch for XP Home. (Please correct me if this is not the correct
    >> file.)
    >>

    >That is what you need. Why have you waited so long? It's been out for MANY
    >MOONS.
    >
    >> I've read a few things that suggest that some people have created
    >> nightmares in their systems by installing SP2.
    >>

    >I've installed the SP2 on over 50 varying systems, and never had one
    >problem. Not ONE. My thinking on this issue is the PC had PROBLEMS to start
    >with, and the user didn't fix the problems before attempting to install SP2.
    >Kind of like upgrading a buggered version of Windows 9x to XP - the problems
    >in the system are simply carried over to the new OS, and exacerbated by the
    >changes.
    >
    >> Having had my share of nightmares in the past, I was wondering if
    >> setting a "Restore Point" before the installation will enable me to go
    >> back to my previous version of XP?
    >>

    >While SP2 has an 'uninstall' option, I wouldn't trust it. Nor do I trust
    >system restore. Do a backup of your data, settings, email, downloaded files,
    >etc. first.
    >
    >Also, make sure the system is CLEAN - run your AV scan, check for trojans,
    >hijackers, etc. before doing the SP2.

    Thank you Toolman Tim ... I appreciate your kind advice. Will do as
    you suggest, and go straight ahead.

    DayBreak, Jul 29, 2006
  4. DayBreak

    Plato Guest