Installing Win XP drivers on an Win 98 PC

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jerry Rivers, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    Previously, I posted a message saying that I am getting
    *very* slow speed browsing my other PC which is connected to
    mine via Microsoft Networking and a router. I didn't get any
    response to that question. But, I have more information on
    the problem and would like some help/advice.

    To recap, I did a clean install of Windows XP Professional on
    my PC. I then set up a Microsoft TCP/IP netowork so that I
    could share files with my other PC, which is still runing
    Windows 98 SE. The netowork and router are also so my other
    PC can share my cable modem.

    Anyway, I have been advised that Windows XP Setup should have
    prompted me to insert a floppy disk into my A:\ so that the
    XP installer could copy some network files that must be
    installed on the Win 98 PC for the network to operate
    properly, I don't remember being prompted for a floppy and
    don't know what to do at this point.

    Here's a summary of my speed issue:

    WWW, E-mail, and NNTP all work fine using my cable modem.

    Accessing folders and files on my XP PC from the Win 98 PC is
    fast, the same good performance as I had on both PCs prior to
    changing mine to XP.

    Accessing folders and files on the Win 98 PC from my XP PC is
    *very* slow.

    I can find nothing in my setup of Windows that can explain
    this.

    Would someone from Microsoft and/or a knowledgeable user
    please advise me on what to do to fix this annoying problem?

    Thank you.

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 3, 2004

  2. opposit click my network places in xp and select properties on the left hand
    side click "setup a small home or office network" to launch the wizard then
    go thru the steps at the end it will ask you to create a floppy disk to use
    to setup other computers on your network. take you time and read all
    screens properly.

    cheers

    NorthernPirate, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Jerry Rivers

    DataSpider Guest

    Sorry, canĀ“t help.
    But i can tell you that i have the same type of connection in my place and
    it works fine with XP Pro and 98SE.
    ( And i did not use any floppy...)

    DataSpider, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Jerry Rivers

    jfr Guest

    For clarification, how slow exactly is very slow?

    jfr, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    re: how slow is slow?

    I've done some approximate timings:

    In XP using Explorer, open a folder on shared drive on 98 PC
    with 4,500 JPGs in it: more than a minute, previously was
    maybe 5 seconds.

    In XP, do a search for "1971" (I collect car pictures) across
    the network to the 98 PC. It searches maybe 20,000 files,
    takes 8 minutes on XP, was maybe 15-20 seconds before.

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 3, 2004