Installing Ultra ATA drive in USB enclosure - I've RTM

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MBHC, May 31, 2005.

  1. MBHC

    MBHC Guest

    I have an old Dell laptop with a piddly 6GB harddrive, Windows 2000 Pro
    SP3, and I've decided to get a hardrive to use into the future. I
    purchased a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7.

    Anyway, I've borrowed a USB enclosure (I think it may be USB 1.1, and I
    know this will slow the drive down, but it's only temporary) and tried
    to install.

    Nothing seems to work, and after reading all available info on the
    Seagate site, I found that no where did it mention using this drive in
    a USB enclosure. I have tried all jumper positions for master, slave
    and cable select, but none seem to work.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this working? Do I
    need to purchase a better USB 2.0 enclosure? Is there a simple trick I
    don't know?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,
    Matt.

    MBHC, May 31, 2005

  2. MBHC

    MBHC Guest

    I forgot to mention, when I look in device manager, it sees the USB
    drive but gives an error: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

    Matt,

    MBHC, May 31, 2005

  3. MBHC

    old jon Guest

    Go into Device Manager and check USB devices. Of course you can`t be sure
    the enclosure works ?. Set the drive up as Master. I`ve got a 200gig in
    mine, but I`m using winXP..Computer Management\Disk Management
    best wishes. (my name is also Br**kes)

    old jon, May 31, 2005
  4. MBHC

    Ex_OWM Guest

    I had a similar problem with a USB external drive, got the Code 10 error. I
    ran Scan for Hardware Changes from Device Manager and it came up with a new
    MTP Device (Windows Portable Device), I installed that and it solved the
    problem.

    Ex_OWM, May 31, 2005