Installing the right AHCI drive in XP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Williams, Feb 11, 2012.

  1. Yes ok if its WIN7, but no so easy with XP and a SATA DVD drive..

    You have to use the IDE mode to install the Driver, but mine were not
    acepted using the F6 key so had to use IDE mode to load the system.

    But I found that you can install them in Windows by doing a Driver
    Update, buth is is were that problem comes, what driver do you use..??

    Here is the list, and the system does not auto pick any, you have to
    chose the correct one, have a Look on the Intel site and see if you can
    find the correct one listed for a Z68 chipset, I tried for 2 days.

    Here is a Clue

    Intel® 6 Series Chipset/Intel® C200 Series Chipset

    Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology is designed to provide
    functionality for the following Storage Controllers:
    RAID Controllers:
    - Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID
    Controller
    - Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller

    AHCI Controllers:
    - Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI
    Controller
    - Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) EP80579 SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller

    Frank Williams, Feb 11, 2012

  2. Frank Williams

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    You need to check the PCI ID reference, in the hardware devices, then
    one of the tabs will provide the info. Then just do a search on the
    google on the id string.

    eg
    14e4:1680+XP driver

    Malcolm, Feb 11, 2012

  3. Yes did all that looked at the Device on the Intel web site and no clues
    at all, I found one on a Forum that seems to me to be right, as the Z68
    or was it the i5-2500K refers to Express, and there were only 2 drivers
    with Express in there name and one was for Mobile.

    Stacks of hits on this kind of problem and virtually no answers.

    Even when trying the F6 was listed 4 drivers from the Floppy but the 2
    obvious one would not install.

    But to get the AHCI to work selected the Controllers (2) in the Device
    Manager to update the Drive, installed my Floppy and picked this one

    Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI
    Controller

    No raid being used..

    Reboot and set the Bios for AHCI...

    Nice that this MoBo has a Floppy port but its not really needed at all,
    when you go the IDE way, this I had to due the DVD having a SATA port.

    The only thing is problems with Sound drivers and Video drivers not
    fully installing, even the Intel INF drives did not get fully install
    and the are on a Automatic CD one click does all.

    I since found out that there are 2 Realtek Drivers on for Audio and one
    for HDMI..

    Getting use to a new computer, MS did not flag me now regarding my new
    PC with a installed real OEM version of XP..

    Frank Williams, Feb 11, 2012
  4. Frank Williams

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Good on ya Malcolm for helping the mainframe engineer and general expert on
    everything to do a basic task.

    I've never used the F6 method yet all of my SATA-equipped machines are
    running in AHCI mode within the first hour of a new install. (I even let
    them put the 'Intel Rapid Storage Technology" icon [with a green tick!] in
    the systray these days.)
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Feb 12, 2012
  5. Frank Williams

    Dave Doe Guest

    The best way, IMO, to install via F6 CD OS boot, is to install each
    driver - until it fuken works! - then you know you have the right one!
    :) It doesn't take long, as Windows will not continue to load as it has
    no valid drive to install to until the correct driver is in place.

    And you *don't* use Window Update to update a *working* driver - without
    imaging the drive first - otherwise you could have a non-bootable, non-
    existing RAID array on the next boot!

    Dave Doe, Feb 12, 2012
  6. Frank Williams

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I totally agree that this is indeed the best way. I just happened to do it
    the other way the first time and so have continued to do so.
    I only use WU for Windows itself, never for drivers. That's a fool's game
    IMO. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Feb 12, 2012
  7. Frank Williams

    Dave Doe Guest

    I really don't know why I bothered replying, I'm sure the old codger has
    given it the (TM) Woger crap mark already :)

    Dave Doe, Feb 12, 2012

  8. Its only used with XP..

    Not Possible when you have a SATA DVD Drive as you have to boot up first
    in IDE.

    I Dont use RAID..

    Frank Williams, Feb 13, 2012

  9. Well lots of drivers that I use Only come from MS, NOT FROM THE
    MANUFATURES.

    2 Printers and a DELL monitor so far from memory.

    Frank Williams, Feb 13, 2012

  10. NO NOT WRONG AT ALL, SEEMS TO ME YOU NO FA ALL ABOUT COMPUTERS OR HAVE
    MADE ANY,,

    A SATA DVD drive cant boot up into AHCI until is has Drivers to run
    it, so has to be loaded up in IDE Mode that install the AHCI drivers, I
    should know as this what happened..

    So Please Stat what is Wrong..?

    Frank Williams, Feb 13, 2012
  11. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    I cant speak for your issues, but I have installed XP on a machine with
    it AHCI from the start. Used a disc the IT guy left which has a crapload
    of drivers slipstreamed onto it for similar machines to what is used in
    the place.

    32 bit XP on a i5 with 4 gigs, what a waste.

    Richard, Feb 15, 2012
  12. Frank Williams

    Dave Doe Guest

    How so? If your hardware supports it, you should be able to use all
    that - or near to it - can PAE be enabled?. And if not, 3.2Gb or so?

    Dave Doe, Feb 15, 2012

  13. Tried all that but I have a SATA DVD Drive and when I tried to load the
    driver it would not load, so ended up installing them in Widows no big
    problem, my problem is what is the Correct driver to use, Intel does not
    tell you a thing and its not Automatic.

    Here is the Driver list try and pick the correct one for a Z68

[...]

    I don't have WIN 7 Driver for some of my Hardware and even some of them
    are only 32b

    It will be a Dual boot System when I get around to it with WIN 7

    Frank Williams, Feb 15, 2012
  14. I gather extra Ram can be used as a Ram Disk but a old MS article
    mention only 4GB

    As some of my hardware like a HP 5470c scanner only has XP drivers, but
    I am doing the same thing as I did on my last computer, install XP first
    then WIN 7 next, but its taken a few days for the XP Drivers/Software
    to install and with my old system it was dead easy to install the SATA
    drivers from a floppy with only one driver to select..

    Not like this

    Frank Williams, Feb 15, 2012
  15. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    When slipstreamed it all just seems to work properly with no choosing
    needed at all.

    The floppy install would be a pain as I would have to find a USB floppy
    drive which I think were all sent off with the old laptops to the boneyard.

    We have decided that if its possible the next lot of machines will be
    ordered without the optical drive too as it only ever gets used for the
    OS installation and then people playing crap music on, and the install
    will be done over the lan next time.
    We have a piece of hardware that doesnt have 64 drivers, but the old PCs
    were due for replacement. So much faster now vs the 5 year old dinosaur
    IME dual boot is as much hassle as maintaining 2 computers, so may as
    well just have 2 computers and leave the legacy crap on one of them.

    Richard, Feb 15, 2012

  16. I looked at that be the info I found referred to one driver this has 6.

    TXTSETUP.OEM
    iaStor.sys
    iaStor.inf
    iastor.cat
    iaAHCI.inf
    iaahci.cat

    This system has a Floppy Drive.

    Dual boot is Dead Easy Why use 2 Computers when one will do also their
    is a virtual XP Mode, but I think is has limitations, I don't know if
    the Virtual mode loads up every time you boot, some thing for me to find
    out..

    May be some one here can give us some feed back on XP Virtual mode..

    Frank Williams, Feb 15, 2012