Installing Talktalk broadband modem. USB vs Ethernet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TJ, Jun 30, 2007.

  1. TJ

    TJ Guest

    If you're having trouble with USB broadband modem installation this
    may help.

    Talktalk sent me the HUAWEI SmartAX MT882 broadband modem - with both
    USB and LAN/ Ethernet connections.

    Previously I used a Sagem 800 USB modem through USB 1 at 2meg speeds
    with no problems running on WIN ME.

    I chose USB (as I had previously never loaded the LAN driver, having
    no need for Ethernet before when I built the PC).

    Download speeds showed 2.5-4 meg range. But literally everything IE6,
    FIREFOX was haywire or totally unresponsive. And Windows crashed at
    any time.

    I unisntalled the modem driver - loaded the LAN driver from the mobo
    CD, then went through loading the TALKTALK modem again - chose the
    Ethernet option (which they recommeded it must be said) and night
    turned to day. Instant top speed and stability.

    If you are not buying an modem.router where Ethernet connections are
    standard, demand a broadband modem with Ethernet option - especially
    if you only have USB 1. You will free up a USB port - and the whole
    PC !

    If the LAN/Ethernet driver hasn't been loaded, load it from the
    motherboard CD, then proceed to install the modem.

    Using Ethernet is much faster (than USB 1), plus it frees up your
    already low USB 1 bandwidth, which internet speeds >2meg will choke
    totally, and the USB modem driver will screw up your whole machine.

    TJ

    TJ, Jun 30, 2007

  2. TJ

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Duh

    WhzzKdd, Jun 30, 2007

  3. TJ

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Duh

    WhzzKdd, Jun 30, 2007
  4. TJ

    tom Guest

    TJ, For those of us that don't know it all, thanks for the info.

    tom, Jun 30, 2007
  5. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Not that it matters to anyone else, but for the record...That wasn't me.
    I'm the TJ who recently converted from OE to Xnews and fell in love with
    the scoring. That post came from another TJ.

    Just thought I'd pass that along for those of you who don't know it all.

    TJ, Jun 30, 2007
  6. TJ

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Plus you don't appear to cross-post bloated "FYI" posts to half a dozen
    somewhat unrelated newsgroups ;)

    WhzzKdd, Jun 30, 2007
  7. Know-it-all.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 30, 2007
  8. TJ

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Yeah yeah <g>

    WhzzKdd, Jun 30, 2007