    has a PCI Express x16 slot, I cannot install any PCI Express graphics cards,
    and will have to make use of the AGP x8 slot for my grapics card. Is this
    correct, or is there hope? Thanks.

    Gilberto Samson, Jan 8, 2005

  2. Gilberto,

    While it is possible to have a PCI Express 1x graphics card its unlikely
    that they will use 1x at all, your board simply has the 1x connector so it
    can brag that it has PCI Express support is my guess...

    If you look at the PCI Express specification you'll see that the faster
    slots are larger in size:

    http://www.commodore.ca/news/images/PCI_Express_Range.GIF

    So most likely your motherboard sucks and just said PCI Express on the
    package to get people to buy it... although that 1x PCI-X slot you do have
    would be wonderful for a Network card, modem, or some other common device
    its not really going to be useful in a kickass gaming machine, you really
    need a board with PCI-X 16x.

    I would return the motherboard, and buy one that has a PCI Express 16x slot
    :)

    -L

    Locke Nash Cole, Jan 8, 2005

  3. Gilberto Samson

    James Mourby Guest

    Just adding 2 cents...

    As far as im aware... motherboards will have EITHER a pci-x16 OR agp port.
    but not both.

    James Mourby, Jan 8, 2005