Installing DVDRW questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gee, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. Gee

    Gee Guest

    Current setup:
    XP Pro Sp1
    80Gb Maxtor HD 1 partition only
    Asus DVD player drive
    Asus CDRW drive

    All working fine as is.

    Now I bought Samsung DVD+/-R/ RW + CD-R/RW Drive (TS-H552). I know the
    basics of physical installation, so just wanted some ideas on best setup re
    other 2drives, and whether to keep one of existing drives or just add this
    one to the family.

    Qs:
    1.Can I keep all 3 drives working well alongside each other?
    2.Would Nero (or other writing program) be able to deal with 2 writing
    devices?
    3.Would XP be able to deal with 2 optical drives on one cable ok?

    Cannot tell you the current setup inside the PC as never opened it yet, but
    I assume it has 2 IDE channels, so would have to put 2 optical drives on 1
    cable as Ms/Sl. So if I do that,

    4.which would be best to use as master, which as slave?Does it matter? I
    swear I read about master/slave issues somewhere but can;t find it now.

    5.And if I pull out one drive out which one, DVD reader or DCRW?

    Really I wanted to keep CDRW so I don't use the DVD burner too much, and
    only keep it for DVD burning really. I do burn CDs a fair amount, and watch
    DVDs less.

    6.Finally , new DVDRW drive has a 2pin "digital cable" port which is new to
    me. What is this for?

    Thanks for any input.
    Gee

    Gee, Jan 16, 2005

  2. Gee

    chuckie® Guest

    On my computer, I have a DVD-RW, and a DVD-ROM. I saw no need for anything
    else, as, the DVD will act the part of a CD-RW and/or ROM. Why tax your
    power supply when it isn't necessary. And, yes, Nero will recognize as long
    as it's updated to the DVD. I got the newest version of Nero with the
    DVD-RW...luck...

    chuckie®, Jan 17, 2005