Installing an optical drive on a SONY VAIO desktop (RX572)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by cohenlj, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. cohenlj

    cohenlj Guest

    Hi,

    I want to install an optical drive on a SONY VAIO desktop (RX572)
    computer. I have already put in a USB 2.0 card and a second hard
    drive-no problem! I want to install a DVD writer and in order to do so
    I must remove one of the old drives. It now has a DVD drive and a CD
    writer. (I would prefer to remove the top drive which is the DVD
    drive.)

    I have the left side panel (this side without the motherboard) and the
    top panel off, but I can't figure out how to get to the screws on the
    right hand side (this is the side with the motherboard) of the drive
    to remove the old drive and put in the new one. Does one need to take
    the screws off on the right hand side, or is there some trick? And when
    you pull out the old drive, do you pull it out though the front, or
    will it fit taking it out from the back?

    Anybody have any experience with this, or a similar SONY VAIO?

    I tried the SONY website and got nowhere.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Larry

    cohenlj, Mar 18, 2006

  2. cohenlj

    JANA Guest

    Did you try calling Sony support? If they won't tell you, maybe they can do
    it for a reasonable price.

    The other alternative, is to get a USB or Firewire DVD writer.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Mar 19, 2006

  3. It varies a lot from case to case, but from some Googling I see that on
    your model there's supposed to be a little lever on the bottom of the
    case you need to pull. But on most cases all you need to remove the
    right panel is remove a couple of screws. Don't worry about disturbing
    the motherboard, it isn't attached to that. Once open, you should be
    able to see the way to remove the drive. As for removing the old drive,
    most times it must come out through the front, sometimes there's enough
    room in the case so it could go either way.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 19, 2006