installing additional NIC in PIX 515E. Help!

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by daniel, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. daniel

    daniel Guest

    We have a PIX 515E v 6.2. "sh ver" and "sh activation-key" show that
    it supports a Max of 6 interface cards. It has two expansion slots and
    the top one is already installed with an Intel Pro/100 card. So we
    bought another Intel Pro/100 card (from a non-Cisco source) and
    installed in the 2nd slot.

    Upon reboot up, it ignored the new card. It seems to me that the new
    card has an IRQ conflict with another at IRQ 11. I thought IOS would
    not do PnP. I tried to set a different default IRO on the new card by
    installing it in a PC with Intel utilities. But I have not been able
    to change it.

    Can anyone help? I understand Cisco won't support it but just wonder
    this can be done. Here the is hyperterm capture:

    Proceed with reload? [confirm]

    Rebooting..ÿ

    CISCO SYSTEMS PIX FIREWALL

    Embedded BIOS Version 4.3.207 01/02/02 16:12:22.73

    Compiled by morlee

    32 MB RAM

    PCI Device Table.

    Bus Dev Func VendID DevID Class Irq

    00 00 00 8086 7192 Host Bridge

    00 07 00 8086 7110 ISA Bridge

    00 07 01 8086 7111 IDE Controller

    00 07 02 8086 7112 Serial Bus 9

    00 07 03 8086 7113 PCI Bridge

    00 0D 00 8086 1209 Ethernet 11

    00 0E 00 8086 1209 Ethernet 10

    00 11 00 8086 1229 Ethernet 11

    00 13 00 8086 1229 Ethernet 5

    Cisco Secure PIX Firewall BIOS (4.2) #0: Mon Dec 31 08:34:35 PST 2001
    Platform PIX-515E
    System Flash=E28F128J3 @ 0xfff00000
    Use BREAK or ESC to interrupt flash boot. Use SPACE to begin flash
    boot immediately. Flash boot in 10 seconds.

    Reading 1536512 bytes of image from flash.
    ##################################################################################
    32MB RAM
    Ignoring PCI card in slot:3 (vendor:0x8086 deviceid:0x1229
    revisionid:0xc) System Flash=E28F128J3 @ 0xfff00000
    BIOS Flash=am29f400b @ 0xd8000
    mcwa i82559 Ethernet at irq 11 MAC: 000a.b788.20f5
    mcwa i82559 Ethernet at irq 10 MAC: 000a.b788.20f4
    mcwa i82558 Ethernet at irq 5 MAC: 0090.271a.7fbb

    || ||
    || ||
    |||| ||||
    ..:||||||:..:||||||:..
    c i s c o S y s t e m s
    Private Internet eXchange
    Cisco PIX Firewall

    Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.2(2)
    Licensed Features:
    Failover: Enabled
    VPN-DES: Enabled
    VPN-3DES: Disabled
    Maximum Interfaces: 6
    Cut-through Proxy: Enabled
    Guards: Enabled
    URL-filtering: Enabled
    Inside Hosts: Unlimited
    Throughput: Unlimited
    IKE peers: Unlimited

    This machine is licensed to run in failover secondary mode only

    daniel, Dec 17, 2003

  2. daniel

    Rik Bain Guest

    Before you work too hard on this you might want to consider that are are
    real reasons why cisco doesnt support this. An intel pro bought today
    may not the same as one bought last year, but they have universal drivers
    for pc's that will function with both cards. This is not the case on the
    pix. The smallest change in firmware could cause undesirable behavior.

    I have seen cases where just the presence of over the counter NIC in a
    pix caused failures, even when the NIC was shutdown and not in use. As
    soon as the NIC was removed, all was well.

    Rik Bain

    Rik Bain, Dec 17, 2003

  3. :We have a PIX 515E v 6.2. "sh ver" and "sh activation-key" show that
    :it supports a Max of 6 interface cards. It has two expansion slots and
    :the top one is already installed with an Intel Pro/100 card. So we
    :bought another Intel Pro/100 card (from a non-Cisco source) and
    :installed in the 2nd slot.

    :Upon reboot up, it ignored the new card.

    There are a lot of different Intel Pro/100 cards. Not all of them
    are going to be suitable.

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=e...7.897$

    Frankenpixes appear to use Intel 10/100 EtherExpress B
    http://www.packetattack.com/img/pics/pages/pix_nic_JPG.htm
    http://www.packetattack.com/frankenpix.html

    Walter Roberson, Dec 17, 2003
  4. daniel

    Hugo Drax Guest

    I do not have time to blow and I just order the Cisco Part #, would you put
    your job or your customers network on the line to rig something like this? I
    sure wont, and if they cannot afford it then they will not have it, period..

    Hugo Drax, Dec 18, 2003