    The BCD store (what you are referring to as the botmangr) is written to the
    root of the XP drive when adding Vista to an XP system. Removing the BCD
    store does not cripple XP. Anyway that's where VistaBoot Pro is so handy.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 24, 2008

  2. Don

    Don Guest

    Yes, but I have already installed Vista.

    I installed it, by booting from the Vista DVD, selecting the new hard drive,
    formatted it from there, and installed Vista onto it.

    I do not get a boot menu, now that Vista is up and running showing " Older
    Version of Windows", and " Microsoft Vista" to choose from.
    It just automatically boots into XP, unless I hit escape to hit my bios boot
    menu, and select that third hard drive to boot from. Based on what I had
    read beforehand, I had expected to get the boot menu option to boot into
    either OS, and was surprised I did not.

    When I am in XP, the Vista partition shows as " L " partition, which is
    fine. When I am in Vista, that same partition shows as "C" partition.

    I think I understand what I need to do to protect Vista's restore points,
    just not sure if I am able to get the above boot menu to show or just be
    happy leaving it as it is .

    Don, Feb 24, 2008

  3. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks Lance, I will have to re-check, but I think even without the boot
    menu, doing it as I am in the bios, I still am losing Vista restore points,
    I will go check this and advise.

    Don, Feb 24, 2008
  4. Don

    Don Guest

    Ok, I am in Vista now, and have just checked.
    As I suspected, no I do not have any restore points. Whenever I boot into
    XP, and come back into Vista, even though I am using the bios to boot from
    the drive Vista is on, it still apparently deletes Vista's restore points.

    Don, Feb 24, 2008
  5. You can use VistaBoot Pro to write the BCD store to the XP drive and then
    you should have a standard boot menu. VistaBoot Pro is free and uses a GUI.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 24, 2008
  6. You would continue you to lose VSS files if for some reason the Vista volume
    is visible to XP when XP boots up. If you can see the Vista drive in XP's
    My Computer then Vista is obviously not hidden.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 24, 2008
  7. Don

    Don Guest

    Ok, I will give it another shot then. I tried it once, and either was doing
    something major wrong or just not understanding quite what I was supposed to
    do, never could get it to do it.

    Thanks,

    Don, Feb 24, 2008
  8. Don

    Don Guest

    Just installed Vista Boot Pro.
    When I launch it , the first thing I get is a warning message as follows:
    " VistaBootPro has detected that Vista is either not installed or is
    installed on a hidden drive. You may experience minor problems using
    VistaBootPro and/or making changes to your BCD registry".
    It then takes me to the backup registry options menu.

    Think it is safe to go ahead and try to use this ?

    Thanks for your help on this.

    Don, Feb 24, 2008
  9. Don

    John Barnes Guest

    The BCD will get written to the system drive when executed from either
    system. If you want the BCD relocated you will have to make the drive first
    in boot priority and the partition you want an active primary partition on
    the drive.

    John Barnes, Feb 24, 2008
  10. Use VBP's System Bootloader tab and choose Windows Vista Bootloader and All
    Drives.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 24, 2008
  11. Don

    Don Guest

    Augh, I confuse too easily! :)

    Ok, so if I am booting primarily from the drive my XP resides on, then I
    will want to install the VistaBootPro program, onto XP and run it from
    there, instead of installing and running from Vista, is that correct?

    Don, Feb 24, 2008
  12. Don

    Don Guest

    Ok, I will give that a try and advise.

    Thanks,

    Don, Feb 24, 2008
  13. Don

    Don Guest

    I tried that exactly as you suggested Colin, and it made no difference.
    Still boots directly into XP, then I go into bios boot menu, choose the
    third sata drive my Vista is on, then it boots directly into Vista.

    Thanks for the help, probaby something small I am missing - I installed
    VistaBootPro and run it from my Vista install, should I install it and run
    it from the XP install instead?

    Don, Feb 24, 2008
  14. Sure. Won't hurt.

    The ideal thing would be to simply do a fresh install of Vista from the XP
    desktop but I can understand that you might not want to do that.

    In any case, even if you leave everything set up like it is, you should
    still make the registry entry in XP. It doesn't matter how you installed
    the operating systems, you would still hide Vista from XP the same way.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 25, 2008
  15. Don

    Don Guest

    Dang, still did not work.

    I installed VistaBootPro in Windows XP.

    Installed Vista Bootloader using system bootloader tab, selected C drive,
    which is what my XP is installed, and still just boots directly into XP, no
    boot menu option to choose XP or Vista.

    I just can't seem to get this to work properly in that way.

    Don, Feb 25, 2008
  16. Don

    Don Guest

    Btw, when I launch VistaBootPro in windows XP, it first gives me a message
    that the bcd entry is missing or corrupt, recommends I repair it first.

    Don, Feb 25, 2008
  17. If you reinstall Vista, try it from the XP desktop. Otherwise, just make
    the registry change and go with what you have.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 25, 2008
  18. Don

    Don Guest

    The ironic thing is, when I first opened up my Vista box, and inserted the
    64 bit dvd into the drive, autoplay started it right up, and I got some
    error message, don't remember the exact wording, to the effect that it could
    not be run from the desktop, and instructed me to boot from the dvd to run
    setup. I had planned on booting from the dvd anyways, so it was not a big
    deal at the time. I have the full retail version of Vista Ultimate.

    No, I seriously don't want go through and install Vista again. I will play
    around with VistaBootPro a little more, then just give up if I don't get it
    and continue as I am doing. Just hope I don't screw something up :).

    Thanks for all the help,

    Don, Feb 25, 2008
  19. Don

    John Barnes Guest

    If you run VBP from the XP partition the way you have changed boot priority
    'on the fly', you will overwrite the XP boot process. You would be able to
    reverse it later, if you actually can get back into VBP on that drive. Have
    you copied the files I recommended earlier?

    John Barnes, Feb 25, 2008
  20. Don

    Don Guest

    Not yet, I don't think I quite understood exactly how to do it, I will
    re-read again and see what I can do.

    I now have managed to get the choice to load either Vista or XP, but only
    after hitting escape to enter my bios menu and choosing the Vista hard drive
    to boot from, can't seem to get it to do it from my first hard drive, the
    one XP is installed on.

    I reckon I better quit messing with VBP while I am ahead before I screw
    something up...

    Don, Feb 25, 2008