    If you're doing an installer project that will install an assembly into the
    GAC, do you only use a merge module if other assemblies will use the
    assembly being installed?

    Brunswick Lowe, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Brunswick Lowe

    Eric Guest

    A merge module is only used if other apps (with their own install
    projects) also need to install the same assembly.

    It has nothing to do with who will use the assembly once it's installed.

    Think of a merge module as being something like an include file for
    install code. It makes it easy to add your install code to other
    installation projects.

    Eric

    Eric, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Eric,

    thanks for the assist. That's how I understood it. I think I hit a bad
    practice test question. You, me, MSDN have corroborated the same answer.

    At any rate, thanks again for the info. I passed 70-310 today, hitting the
    MCAD mark. Only 229 left for MCSD. Ready to get that over with.

    Brunswick Lowe, Mar 6, 2004