Installation of an optical drive on a SONY VAIO desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by LJ, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. LJ

    LJ Guest

    I want to install an optical drive on a SONY VAIO desktop (RX572)
    computer. I have already put in a USB 2.0 card and a second hard
    drive-no problem! I want to install a DVD writer and in order to do so
    I must remove one of the old drives. It now has a DVD drive and a CD
    writer. (I would prefer to remove the top drive which is the DVD
    drive.)

    I have the left side panel (this side without the motherboard) and the
    top panel off, but I can't figure out how to get to the screws on the
    right hand side (this is the side with the motherboard) of the drive
    to remove the old drive and put in the new one. Does one need to take
    the screws off on the right hand side, or is there some trick? And when

    you pull out the old drive, do you pull it out though the front, or
    will it fit taking it out from the back?

    Anybody have any experience with this, or a similar SONY VAIO?
    I tried the SONY website and e-mail and got nowhere. [The e-mail reply
    I received only wanted to sell me a drive.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Larry

    LJ, Mar 20, 2006

  2. LJ

    JD Guest

    Remove the CD writer as your DVD writer can copy CD's as well as DVD's
    and keeping the DVD drive will allow you to "copy on the fly"

    Never had a sony VIAO, however I have upgraded a few computers from
    makers such as DELL, Compaq, HP etc that required taking off the molded
    front panels to access hidden screws, that let you take off the other panel.
    It should fit out ether however the PSU might prevent it coming out of
    the back.
    JD

    JD, Mar 20, 2006