Install WinXP Home Edition over top of XP Pro?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GrandpaChuck, Aug 15, 2006.

  1. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    I have found out the WinXP Pro on our old computer is, as I suspected,
    a pirated copy. I went to Microsoft's website and I can get a valid
    key for it and make it legal for $150.

    On Amazon I can buy a WinXP Home Edition for around $85.

    Can I install this on the old computer over the current Pro version
    without losing files, etc?

    After all, I have no reason to have XP Pro on that machine anyway.
    That was the OS on it when the computer was given to me. This is the
    same computer we use on in our bedroom for streaming audio of WSUI-AM
    and to listen to mp3 files of our 300+ music cds.

    Thank you friends for all of your help.
    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    The following information is given with the utmost respect for the armed forces and civilians who have died in the current war and subsequent occupation in Iraq. According to http://icasualties.org/oif/
    The number of Americans killed in Iraq as of August 12, 2006 is 2,601. Americans wounded = more than 18,777 United Kingdom = 115 Other = 115
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most of them by the so-called insurgents.
    Today, August 14, 2006 it has been 1201 days since Bush declared,"Mission Accomplished in Iraq." That marked the end of the war and the beginning of the armed occupation.

    GrandpaChuck, Aug 15, 2006

  2. GrandpaChuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Nope. Won't work. XP Home is NOT an upgrade path for XP Pro, so it can'tbe
    done. You will have to backup your files, and do a new CLEAN install. Then
    install the apps, restore the backups, etc.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 15, 2006

  3. GrandpaChuck

    Joe Potter Guest

    A clean install will be required.

    If you wanted to go from Home to Pro, that's different.

    Joe Potter, Aug 15, 2006
  4. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    Excuse me for being naive.
    By "clean install" do you mean to just run the "Install" from the new
    disks and let it do its thing?

    The only records that mean much to me are all of those mp3 files and I
    can dump those on to our main desktop p.c. via our home network. I can
    put them all in one folder so all I need do is move them from one
    computer to the other and then after the new OS is installed move them
    back.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Aug 15, 2006
  5. GrandpaChuck

    Meat Plow Guest

    Get all your data/music/video etc off the Pro machine, reformat the fixed
    disk and install Home.

    Meat Plow, Aug 15, 2006
  6. GrandpaChuck

    Joe Potter Guest

    Moving your mp3 files from on PC to another is one option.

    Is your hard drive one large partition or do you have more than one ?

    If it's one large partition you can backup to CD/DVD, or another PC over the
    network.

    You could use a third-party such as Partition Magic 8 to resize a hard drive
    with one single partition.

    When your data is backed up, refer to the following:

    http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm
    http://tinyurl.com/l4mmp
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

    Joe Potter, Aug 15, 2006
  7. Move the files you want to keep to the other machine, boot off the CD
    (you may need to set the CD as the first boot device in your BIOS),
    delete the partition, recreate the partition, let XP format the new
    partition and proceed with the install.

    See :-
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941 (you will need to use IE as
    this page doesnot render correctly in Firefox)

    GreenieLeBrun, Aug 15, 2006
  8. GrandpaChuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim, Aug 15, 2006
  9. GrandpaChuck

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    "The Requested Web Page is Not Available" in IE or Firefox

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Aug 16, 2006
  10. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    Really?
    I cut and pasted it directly into IE and it opened just fine for me. I
    put it in my favorites so when I get my new WinXP Home I will be
    ready.

    Thanks to all of you who answered my question on this.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    The following information is given with the utmost respect for the armed forces and civilians who have died in the current war and subsequent occupation in Iraq. According to http://icasualties.org/oif/
    The number of Americans killed in Iraq as of August 12, 2006 is 2,601. Americans wounded = more than 18,777 United Kingdom = 115 Other = 115
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most of them by the so-called insurgents.
    Today, August 15, 2006 it has been 1202 days since Bush declared,"Mission Accomplished in Iraq." That marked the end of the war and the beginning of the armed occupation.

    GrandpaChuck, Aug 16, 2006
  11. GrandpaChuck

    EricP Guest

    It renders fine here in IE Firefox and Opera

    EricP, Aug 16, 2006
  12. GrandpaChuck

    Margolotta Guest

    And here (using Safari and Firefox - on a Mac!)

    Margolotta, Aug 17, 2006