Install of SP1 to WinXP Pro destroys dual boot function of Win98/WinXPsystem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Richard Owlett, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. My system, with multiple disk partitions, only had Win98 installed.
    WinXP Pro later added such that I could boot to either Win98 OR WinXP.

    Everything worked fine.

    I decided to install SP1 to WinXP.
    My local hardware vendor [ who is a MS rep ] burned me a CD of SP1.

    I, rather than the vendor, ran the install, choosing all the defaults.

    That destroyed my dual-boot capability as follows.
    On startup there would be 2 options XP or 98.

    If XP chosen, all would be fine.
    If 98 chosen, a 'reboot' occurred and I got the same menu.

    As this is a "hobby" system, I did not immediately pursue the problem.

    Recently, I decided to add an additional hard drive. It seemed to be a
    convenient time to address the dual boot problem while adding the
    additional hard drive.

    My vendor could not resolve the problem.
    Intel, the motherboard vendor, suggested updating the BIOS.
    no luck :{
    My vendor searched various WEB sites without success.

    An ADDITIONAL point.
    As I had proof of license, they disconnected my original hard drive
    and *attempted* to install Win98 on one partition of the new drive.
    They got a failure VERY similar to the original problem. Install
    appeared to go normally. When time came for it to 'reboot' it would
    "reboot" continuously.

    Suggestions any one.
    thank you.

    Richard Owlett, Jul 26, 2004

  2. Richard Owlett

    Sonic Guest

    Did you convert the file system to NTFS?

    Sonic, Jul 26, 2004

  3. No, as I wanted as wide compatibility as possible.

    Richard Owlett, Jul 27, 2004
  4. Richard Owlett

    JJO Guest

    JJO, Jul 27, 2004
  5. Richard Owlett

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Boot to your Windows 98 boot disk, at the A prompt type sys c:, remove the
    disk and reboot, it should go straight into 98. Insert your XP disk, reboot
    to it and do a repair install.

    pcbutts1, Jul 27, 2004
  6. Richard Owlett

    Wilhelm Tell Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:44:55 -0500, Richard Owlett

    ..
    I had the same problem after installing SP1 on my triple
    boot computer. Replacing the versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com
    installed by SP1 with the original XP files fixed the problem.

    Wilhelm Tell, Jul 27, 2004