    How can I get rid of this annoying thing?

    Thanks,

    Dave C.

    dcardarelli, Jun 18, 2013

  2. dcardarelli

    Paul Guest

    Do you use Chrome browser ?

    http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/tr0bwDtHW0U

    "go to C:\users\(computer's name)\AppData\Roaming\

    Do you see a folder there named Dsite? If so, I think you'll
    find a small program called UpdateTask.exe."

    That's the only concrete suggestion in the thread.

    I would use Autoruns, and see if there is anything in there
    that is similar to that. Maybe the UpdateTask is set up
    as a startup item, which is what Autoruns is supposed to
    show up.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

    *******

    Using "Dsite" as a search term, I can find other references.

    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...lf-and-have-deleted-pictures-and-music/page-3

    "AddRemove-DSite - c:\users\LOVEOF~1\AppData\Roaming\DSite\UpdateProc\UpdateTask.exe"

    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479284/slow-start-and-sluggish/page-5

    "C:\Users\Ricks-Laptop\AppData\Roaming\DSite\UpdateProc\UpdateTask.exe

    Win32/InstallCore.BD application cleaned by deleting - quarantined"

    And so on.

    http://www.avira.com/en/support-threats-description-product?tid=7993&tlang=it

    One recommended repair was downright weird - suggesting it
    actually attacked the MBR. That doesn't align with the other
    info I'm seeing.

    So the PUP has a name, and ESET calls it "Win32/InstallCore.BD".
    YMMV of course, because only you know whether the symptoms match
    or not.

    The Avira suggestions of these files:

    – C:\Documents and Settings\virtual_pc\Application Data\DSite\UpdateProc
    – %WINDIR%\Tasks\At1.job

    suggest to me that the "Tasks" mean the thing has scheduled itself to
    run via the Task Scheduler. Just a guess. So rather than being a
    Startup item, that *.job file might be how it gets to run when
    it wants to (time-based launch).

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 19, 2013

  3. dcardarelli