Install 32 bit application on Win 2003 64 bit Enterprise server

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jun 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am trying to install an ODBC driver for our CRM application onto our new
    win 2003 64 bit enterprise edition server. It is a 32 bit application but I
    suspect that the installer is possibly 16 bit or at least part of it. When I
    try to install, it says "the image file is valid, but is for machine type
    other than the current machine." I get a little more detailed message if I
    try to run under the cmd prompt basically says it can't run on 64 bit & to
    contact the vendor for a newer version. Well, there isn't a newer version of
    this driver.

    I came across the following article:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...g64/winprog64/running_32_bit_applications.asp

    It says that it does include support for some older installers. The
    installer that I am trying to run is Installshield 3.00.101.0. Does anyone
    know a way for me to get this to install or am I stuck not installing it?

    Let me know if you need any more info.

    Thanks!
    John

    Guest, Jun 19, 2006

  2. Yes, it's a 16 bit installer. There's no direct workaround, except to
    manually do what the installer would do.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 19, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    That's what I suspected. I did find a post that referenced a product called
    WinINSTALL LE that allows you to create a msi file after you install the
    product to a clean machine. From the post, it seemed to work well for
    several people. I downloaded an eval to see if it will do what we want.

    Thanks for the reply!
    John

    Guest, Jun 19, 2006
  4. Should do what you need. There are MS tools to do it as well, but they're a
    bit less helpful, I believe.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 20, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Charlie,
    What MS tools are out there that would do this as well? I would be
    interested to see what they have to offer.

    I installed the WinINstall LE eval & tried it out. It worked great! Took
    about 5 minutes to have the new msi created & I was able to install the ODBC
    driver with no problems.

    John

    Guest, Jun 21, 2006
  6. Great. Glad to hear you have it up and running.

    Microsoft tools? I honestly don't remember the name. I know they had
    something, probably in the reskit, that would track the changes made during
    an install. My release manager used it to solve a problem we had at one
    point, but I never really played with the tool. I just remember her rather
    pithy comments about its overall value and user hostile nature. But it did
    get us out of the hole for all that.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 22, 2006