    This has been going on for a while now and was wondering what kind
    of software issue this might be and how it can be fixed. Thank you

    Christopher

    Wycritter, Apr 30, 2007

  2. Wycritter

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Since you didn't bother stating what operating system, I'm going to assume
    XP.

    Windows Update for XP sometimes offers/installs updates for hardware, such
    as your video display in the laptop. I've found that those updates are often
    not a good idea, since the laptop manufacturer had the hardware customized
    for the specific machine in question, and the "generic" drivers MS posts
    don't function correctly.

    So I'd suggest you roll back your drivers. Or go to Dell's download site and
    get the latest video drivers for your system and install those.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 30, 2007

  3. It might be worth turning off the option to hibernate first. "Closing
    the lid" is the clue, because all the Dell laptops do the same thing out
    of the box.

    Open Power Options in Control Panel.

    Select the "Advanced" tab to see what is selected under "Power buttons."

    Also check the hibernate tab to see if the "Enable hibernation" box is
    ticked.

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    Some are tempted to think of life in cyberspace as insignificant,
    as escape or meaningless diversion. It is not. Our experiences there
    are serious play. We belittle them at our risk. Sherry Turkle

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Apr 30, 2007