Insignia NS-DVDR1

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Citizen Bob, Oct 30, 2006.

  1. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    The Insignia label is a store brand of Best Buy. It aims to compete
    with Dell and HP for the value market. The Insignia NS-DVDR1 is a $115
    conventional DVD recorder with DivX/XviD playback capability. It is
    purportedly made by LG.

    Does anyone know the model number of the LG unit that most closely
    resembles it? Does anyone have any experience with it.

    For a bit over $100 it is a good buy for a second DVDR. You can use it
    to record shows that are on at the same time as the shows you record
    with your main unit and you can play XviD AVIs while the main unit is
    recording.

    The Polaroid DRM2001G, which is my main unit for the moment (it is
    still under 90 day evaluation), will allow you to play off of either
    the HDD or a DVD while recording with one exception. It won't let you
    play AVIs. I believe that's because AVIs require a lot of processing
    power (there is no decoder chip available) so the unit has to shut out
    playing AVIs while recording.

    Therefore if you want to watch an AVI while you are recording, you
    need a second player.

    --

    "First and last, it's a question of money. Those men who own the earth
    make the laws to protect what they have. They fix up a sort of fence or

    Citizen Bob, Oct 30, 2006