[INN 2.3.2] Newsgroup Hierarchy Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by gibelium, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. gibelium

    gibelium Guest

    Hello together,

    I installed the INN 2.3.2 on a Debian-Woody (Kernel 2.4) system after a
    server-crash and recovered all old messages. The INN checks user/password
    with chpasswd. At the moment I have only one test-user with all rights.

    The groups are organised hierarchically like this:

    news
    open
    internal.data
    internal.news

    After rebuilding history and database files the news-clients (tested with
    Outlook, Mozilla) only show the groups in the root directory of the
    newsserver (e.g. "news" and "open"). The groups "internal.data" and
    "internal.news" are "displayed" (Outlook/Mozilla show that there are for
    example 130 messages in the "internal.data" group), but no messages or the
    list of the messages are displayed... :-(

    I think it's not a client problem.

    Thanks for Help,
    gibelium

    gibelium, Oct 20, 2003

  2. gibelium

    Paul Tomblin Guest

    The best way to verify that it's not a client problem is to telnet to the
    nntp port and issue commands like so:
    mode reader
    group internal.data
    listgroup internal.data
    head <number>
    and so on.

    However, in a case like this it seems that the most frequent problem is
    that your overview database is corrupt. Rebuild it. See the makehistory
    man page for details on how.

    Paul Tomblin, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Possibly. But makehistory in 2.3.2 is quite unreliable, and it
    would be advisable to upgrade to at least 2.3.5 (which should be
    very minimal changes) or even 2.4.0 (which is an easy upgrade,
    but does contain some more substantial changes) before trying to
    rebuild.

    Jeffrey M. Vinocur, Oct 20, 2003