Inklevel indicator ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ritter197, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. Ritter197

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Good points.

    "_Vanguard_" <see_signature> wrote in message
    in message
    | | > If you select photopaper, the ink setting will default
    | > best.
    | >
    | > Best thing is to keep a spare cartridge and change it
    when
    | > the print starts to streak or the colors start to fade.
    I'm
    | > in Wichita and have several 24/7 sources near-by
    (Wal-Mart
    | > and such) that carry ink refills, so I don't worry about
    | > keeping a high production of pages. In fact, I probably
    | > only print 50-100 pages a month, although I sometimes do
    | > several hundred at a single sitting, it just depends.
    | >
    | > If you have urgent needs, such as term papers, work at
    home,
    | > what ever, keep a set at home.
    |

    | Be forewarned that HP measure the warranty period for
    their cartridges

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02075&locale=en_US
    | notes that the end of warranty is already printed on the
    cartridge so
    | obviously it is unrelated to when you actually purchased
    the cartridge.
    | Since the "end of warranty" date is printed on the
    cartridge itself, you
    | can't see it until you remove the cartridge from its
    packing materials.
    | If you buy a cartridge and let it sit around for 6 to 12
    months then it
    | might be out of warranty when you get around to using it.
    That's why
    | you need to buy branded cartridges from a vendor where
    there is decent
    | turnover to help ensure the start of the warranty
    coincides as close as
    | possible to when you buy it. I was going to check
    warranty (contract)
    | law but never got around to it and then forgot about it.
    From now on, I
    | wait until I need a new cartridge and then buy it. Even
    if it is
    | outside the manufactured-timed warranty period, the store
    will accept it
    | as a defect return within 14 days, or so.
    |
    | While printing in draft mode saves ink, be sure to print a
    test page of
    | black and some primary colors to make sure the jets don't
    clog up with
    | dried ink. Had that happen, too, because I don't need to
    print much
    | hardcopy. Also, once you remove the plastic tape over the
    ports, the
    | cartridge starts drying out even if unused. "At $22 per
    quarter-ounce,
    | a Hewlett-Packard color ink-jet cartridge is more
    expensive, by weight,
    | than imported Russian caviar",
    | http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112199,00.asp.
    I never heard
    | what happened with the class action suit against HP
    | (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/inkjet_suit.html).
    |
    | --

    | ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others
    ********
    | Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to
    Subject.

    Jim Macklin, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Ritter197

    Jim Macklin Guest

    LOL about the last line.

    | _Vanguard_ wrote:
    | >
    | > While printing in draft mode saves ink, be sure to print
    a test page of
    | > black and some primary colors to make sure the jets
    don't clog up with
    | > dried ink. Had that happen, too, because I don't need
    to print much
    | > hardcopy. Also, once you remove the plastic tape over
    the ports, the
    | > cartridge starts drying out even if unused. "At $22 per
    quarter-ounce,
    | > a Hewlett-Packard color ink-jet cartridge is more
    expensive, by weight,
    | > than imported Russian caviar",
    | > http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112199,00.asp.
    I never heard
    | > what happened with the class action suit against HP
    | > (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/inkjet_suit.html).
    |
    | HP cartridges include the nozzles, to which they own the
    patents. Other
    | printers have separate cartridges, and have been unable to
    stop third
    | party replacements. I've used generic cartriges in my
    Epson Stylus Color
    | 800 for three years with no problems and about 25% of the
    cost.

    | Gilette started it with cheap razors and expensive blades.
    It's now

    Jim Macklin, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Ritter197

    _Vanguard_ Guest

    Not quite sure what you mean. Maybe there are some inkjet printers that
    have replacement cartridges that don't include the nozzles in them. I
    remember a blueprint-sized printer where you replace tiny clear plastic
    cartridges which have no nozzles (other than the feed nozzle) and the
    spray nozzles were separate. However, you can get cartridges for your
    HP inkjet printer that are not [directly] from HP.

    I don't refill HP cartridges (I've always made a mess of it and the ink
    was different so it produced poor output probably due to different
    solvents or other ingredients) but I do use remanufactured cartridges.
    Patent laws prevent certain cartridges from being manufactured as brand
    new by an alternative manufacturer. O.E.M. or original inkjet cartridges
    can be remanufactured to produce a product that meets or exceeds the
    O.E.M inkjet cartridges in output quality and print life. I get them
    from the local Office Depot but they only have the black-only
    cartridges. I'm still stuck with the HP-branded tri-color cartridges
    (and why I configure my printer to default to grayscale output rather
    than use color and switch to using color when I need it for a particular
    printout). The Office Depot branded remanufactured cartridges have been
    just as reliable as the HP-branded cartridges and just as good for
    output quality and are cheaper ($23 for the Office Depot generic versus
    $29 for one HP-51645A black cartridge; both are Office Depot's prices,
    as HP says the list price on their cartridge is $35). I suppose I could
    get them cheaper online but I don't keep spares and when I need a new
    one is an immediate need. HP must love that cartridges dry out (which
    plugs only the nozzles) even when unused so that you might not even get
    all the ink that is inside to use it.

    As I recall, even the remanufactured units still have an end-of-warranty
    pre-printed on them so I don't bother buying the twin-packs. I don't
    print enough and the spare cartridge will be out of warranty by the time
    I finally would need to use it. Too often the spares are dried out by
    the time I get to them although they are still in their box. I probably
    go through a black cartridge in about 8 months, or more, and even longer
    for the color cartridge, so it is more probable that the cartridge will
    be out of warranty when it is eventually needed. However, if you go
    through cartridges every 2 to 4 months then having a spare is handy as
    you don't need to rush off to the store when they open and rush back to
    get your much needed printout completed.

    Inkjet printers are cheap. In the biz, they are known as "ink delivery
    systems" (in both technical and marketing jargon but for very different
    connotations). The money isn't made on the inkjet printer which are
    often sold at cost. The money is made on the disposables. So figuring
    out the true cost of a printer requires you to consider the cost of its
    disposables. Some printers are just too damn expensive for what little
    ink they provide per cartridge (inkjet or toner).

    _Vanguard_, Dec 16, 2004
  4. Ritter197

    Bob I Guest

    VWWall wrote:

    That would be

    It's now like the old joke about the golf driving range, where the
    admission is free, but they HAVE you bUy the balls!

    Bob I, Dec 16, 2004
  5. Ritter197

    ArtKramr Guest

    Subject: Re: Inklevel indicator ?
    Like Nikon has got me by the lenses.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Dec 16, 2004
  6. Probably a good choice, I have a 930C and the toolbox said I have 0%
    black ink. That was about 30 days ago. I also have a 1220C wide format
    which also has a tool box. Why, I don't know because, the printer cannot
    communicate with the computer without an hardware add on. I forget the
    name but, finding information about it at HP's site is like pulling
    teeth. Except, pulling teeth seems less painful. Per an earlier post, I
    just watch my prints for evidence of ink run out.

    sced13ri

    looneytunes>verizone.net, Dec 16, 2004
  7. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    You live in a lot of countries at the same time ????

    Ritter197, Dec 17, 2004