ink jet cartridge refilling

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John W, Nov 2, 2008.

  1. John W

    John W Guest

    Attempting to refill a canon cl41 cartridge for ip 1700 printer the red colour
    just stopped working. Footprint on a tissue showed the ink was flowing ok.
    After taking out and replacing the cartridge a few times, trying to figure out
    why, the colour yellow suddenly stopped working.

    A footprint on tissue shows all three colours flowing through the printhead
    but only blue will actually print.

    Googling I found opinions from professional cartridge refillers that the
    firmware randomly nobbles cartridges to discourage refilling and that
    consequently they do not test refilled cartridges before returning to their
    customers, just make sure the ink is flowing.

    Can this be true?

    The new cl41 cartridge sells for a bit over $41.00... but
    a new later model printer ip 1800 on pricespy is on offer for $40.00.

    I usually buy canon but I want a printer with a refillable cartridge.

    John W, Nov 2, 2008

  2. John W

    Richard Guest

    Canon heads are thermal, so will die virtually straight away if there is
    any air in them.

    They use that as the excuse for the printer "protecting itself" against
    questionable ink supplies.

    IMO, stick with epson. Reliable, airlock wont kill the head, cheap
    refillable carts and in on ebay, and they are dirt cheap and deliver
    good prints.

    Richard, Nov 2, 2008

  3. John W

    Your Name Guest

    Personally I would NEVER EVER buy a refilled ink or toner cartridge, nor
    refill them myself. Only buy either the proper maker's cartridges or the
    well known "compatible" ones. As the old saying goes: "you usually get what
    you pay for". (The couple of times work tried to go cheap and get refilled
    ones, they produced hopeless prints from the laser printer.)

    "Professional cartridge refillers" is a complete misnomer. There's nothing
    professional about any of them. They're simply someone who has bought a
    franchise license and had 15 minutes "training".

    Unfortunately the Computer Food website doesn't list any compatible
    cartridges for the Canon IP1700, so you might be stuck with proper Canon
    ones.

    Your Name, Nov 2, 2008
  4. John W

    Richard Guest

    depends on the ink you get. I have had bad ones, but the ink I got off
    ebay from budgetstore for my R230 and R310s is just as good as the epson
    stuff. The DSE generic carts I had in it before were total crap and
    always blocking and needing cleans.

    Richard, Nov 2, 2008
  5. John W

    Your Name Guest

    I wouldn't class Dick Smith's cartridges as "well known compatible" - they
    just bung their branding on piles of no-name garbage from Asia.

    Your Name, Nov 2, 2008
  6. John W

    Gib Bogle Guest

    I've refilled Canon ink jet cartridges (I use only black, and don't
    refill the colours) with the kits from The Warehouse Stationery, and
    have no complaints.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 2, 2008
  7. John W

    John W Guest

    Me too, lots of times but this is the first time I have struck this
    problem. The suggestion was that it was done randomly to avoid
    the accusation. Before I read those comments I was thinking
    that I had somehow damaged the contacts.

    John W, Nov 2, 2008
  8. John W

    John W Guest

    Are not all ink jet heads thermal? I have, on occasions, pushed ink
    through canon print heads and got them working again. It looks to
    me like the signal that fires the jets for red and yellow just is'nt getting
    through.

    I'm having another look at Epsons.

    John W, Nov 2, 2008
  9. John W

    Your Name Guest

    You can speed in your car and get away with it 9 times out of 10, but it
    doesn't mean it's sensible or that on that tenth time you won't plow into a
    power pole. :)

    Your Name, Nov 2, 2008
  10. John W

    Squiggle Guest

    Some (most?) inkjets are piezoelectric.

    "Piezoelectric inkjets

    Most commercial and industrial ink jet printers use a piezoelectric
    material in an ink-filled chamber behind each nozzle instead of a
    heating element. When a voltage is applied, the piezoelectric material
    changes shape or size, which generates a pressure pulse in the fluid
    forcing a droplet of ink from the nozzle. This is essentially the same
    mechanism as the thermal inkjet but generates the pressure pulse using a
    different physical principle. Piezoelectric ink jet allows a wider
    variety of inks than thermal or continuous ink jet but the print heads
    are more expensive."

    from wikipedia.

    Squiggle, Nov 2, 2008
  11. John W

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Squiggle" typed:
    Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 2, 2008
  12. John W

    Richard Guest

    No, epsons are piezoelectric, so in theory anything with the right
    viscosity and surface tension will print just fine.

    I tried to get one to print with epoxy resin with no sucess, put one
    part in the black cart, one in the yellow and played around for a while.

    Richard, Nov 3, 2008
  13. John W

    Gib Bogle Guest

    So what is the risk I take in refilling a cartridge? Is it
    life-threatening?

    Gib Bogle, Nov 3, 2008
  14. John W

    John W Guest

    I'm having another look at Epsons.
    Thankyou. Back to google again :)

    John W, Nov 3, 2008
  15. John W

    John W Guest

    So, what would you recommend Richard? I only do the occassional
    casual printing so I go for the cheapest I can find with a refillable cartridge.

    John W, Nov 3, 2008
  16. John W

    Richard Guest

    I would suggest a used epson with the flashing lights error off trademe,
    open it, clean the sponges, reset it with SSC utility and then you get
    yourself a functioning printer for stuff all.

    I also picked up a C67 at the side of the road in the inorganic. Got it
    home and it was flashing the lights, reset it and it prints so I will
    clean it out when I get around to it.

    Richard, Nov 3, 2008
  17. John W

    Richard Guest

    Risks are

    -damage to the printer which is worth less then the ink anyway
    -prints dont last as long so you have to reprint them in 10 years time
    when they fade
    -epson don't make a killing selling you overpriced ink that you cant use
    in its entirety
    -may have to play a bit or download another colour profile for the inks
    you use to get them matching right
    -possibly reduced gamut, but that hardly matters if you are printing
    from a digital camera.

    Benifits
    -Not wasting resources being a bad environmental citizen
    -cheaper prints
    -sticking it to the man
    -can buy in bulk, taking less space then a box of carts
    -not wasting ink thru priming when changing one cart at a time which
    they try to tell you is a feature on printers, not a problem

    Richard, Nov 3, 2008
  18. Ah--laser. The discussion in this thread is about inkjets.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 4, 2008
  19. No, I think only Canon uses what it calls "BubbleJet" technology. A printer
    literally powered by steam.

    The only time I've owned a Canon-engined printer was the first Apple
    StyleWriter.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 4, 2008
  20. John W

    Your Name Guest

    Refilling is refilling. It makes little difference whether it's inkjet ink
    or laser toner, they're both bad ideas in my experience - that was only one
    example. Just imagine all the tiny crap that gets put back into the
    cartridge along with the ink / toner, and it's this stuff that isn't meant
    to be there which often blocks print heads, reduces quality, etc.

    I would never, ever buy or make a refilled cartridge, but what anyone else
    does is of course up to them.

    Your Name, Nov 4, 2008