    this. Any help would be appreciated.

    Mike Parsons
    Yellow Springs, Ohio

    Mike, Jan 23, 2005

  2. Mike

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | I am working on a HP 5300 Laptop, my wife's. When it boots up, the Initial
    | Windows Login Screen appears, but the dialog box or username is
    | missing...there is no where to enter a PW. I pressed ctrl-alt-del twice to
    | get to the login dialog box and the known passwords for the Owner and
    | Administrator do not work. I do not have a Password diskette and not quite
    | certain what is going on. It was working fine two days ago and walla

    (that's 'voila' - it's French...)

    ....now
    | this. Any help would be appreciated.

    Can you get the system to boot at all? Safe Mode? In safe mode you should be
    able to get to Control Panel/Users and remove passwords, and tell the
    computer to boot without the login screen (in which case it boots by default
    into the Owner account). Then restart. That might help, but I've never had
    that exact problem...

    Toolman Tim, Jan 23, 2005

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks for the correct pronunciation....just returned from Europe and that
    particular word was used a lot!

    The system boots...gets to the Microsoft Windows XP Splash or initial login
    screen. On the Left side of the page, the display is as it should be, "To
    begin, click your user name", on the left, it is a total blank...no place to
    dialog box to enter the Password...no usernames displayed...it is empty. I
    press ctrl-alt-del twice and attempt to enter the known passwords and I get
    the error that I have not entered the right passwords. When I boot into Safe
    Mode, the same screen appears....the initial Splash Screen with the same as
    described above only the "To Begin..." is in the middle of the screen. It
    still wants something...but nothing is displayed...wierdest thing I have
    ever seen!!

    Appreciate your rapid response...surprised me!

    Mike

    Mike, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Mike

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | > Initial
    | > | Windows Login Screen appears, but the dialog box or username is
    | > | missing...there is no where to enter a PW. I pressed ctrl-alt-del
    twice
    | > | get to the login dialog box and the known passwords for the Owner and
    | > | Administrator do not work. I do not have a Password diskette and not
    | > quite
    | > | certain what is going on. It was working fine two days ago and walla
    | >
    | > (that's 'voila' - it's French...)
    | >
    | > ...now
    | > | this. Any help would be appreciated.
    | > |
    | > Can you get the system to boot at all? Safe Mode? In safe mode you
    should
    | > be
    | > able to get to Control Panel/Users and remove passwords, and tell the
    | > computer to boot without the login screen (in which case it boots by
    | > default
    | > into the Owner account). Then restart. That might help, but I've never
    had
    | > that exact problem...
    | >

    | Thanks for the correct pronunciation....just returned from Europe and that
    | particular word was used a lot!
    |
    | The system boots...gets to the Microsoft Windows XP Splash or initial
    login
    | screen. On the Left side of the page, the display is as it should be, "To
    | begin, click your user name", on the left, it is a total blank...no place
    | dialog box to enter the Password...no usernames displayed...it is empty. I
    | press ctrl-alt-del twice and attempt to enter the known passwords and I
    get
    | the error that I have not entered the right passwords. When I boot into
    Safe
    | Mode, the same screen appears....the initial Splash Screen with the same
    as
    | described above only the "To Begin..." is in the middle of the screen. It
    | still wants something...but nothing is displayed...wierdest thing I have
    | ever seen!!

    It is weird! That's why I think the logon functions should be looked
    into.You could try "Last Known Good Configuration" (on the same menu as Safe
    Mode). But the last time I couldn't get past that login screen it was caused
    by an OS with over 3500 virus infected files. The system was so mucked-up I
    put the drive into my desktop, copied all the user data files, and put it
    back in the original PC for a total clean install.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 23, 2005
  5. Mike

    PC Guest

    Mike

    Sounds like one I had a few months ago.
    In this case the screen was ok but it would not accept the password. In safe
    mode the administrators acc was the same, should have been no password but
    windows wouldn't accept it.

    Turned out to be a dying Hard drive creating bad sectors faster than MS
    makes money.

    As Toolman Tim suggests the best solution may be to mount the drive in
    another PC, extract the data.
    Then run the drive manufacturers diagnostics & replace / reformat as
    appropriate.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 24, 2005
  6. Mike

    jda^fx Guest

    Tearing laptops apart can be a bit tricky if you want to be able to
    put it back together again. If it was a normal desktop I would go with
    the others, hardrive out, data over into another machine. But when it
    is a laptop it is a bit drastic to go there just yet. Let windows
    repair console have a go at it first. Try to get your Windows CD and
    boot up as if you were to make an install. You will get the option to
    press 'R' to repair windows. Let it do its thing and reboot, then see
    if that doesn't help you. But Toolman Tims advice on 'Last known
    configuration' sohuld be tried first

    jda^fx

    jda^fx, Jan 24, 2005
  7. Mike

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | >I am working on a HP 5300 Laptop, my wife's. When it boots up, the
    Initial
    | >Windows Login Screen appears, but the dialog box or username is
    | >missing...there is no where to enter a PW. I pressed ctrl-alt-del twice
    | >get to the login dialog box and the known passwords for the Owner and
    | >Administrator do not work. I do not have a Password diskette and not
    quite
    | >certain what is going on. It was working fine two days ago and
    walla...now
    | >this. Any help would be appreciated.
    | >
    | >Mike Parsons
    | >Yellow Springs, Ohio
    | >

    | Tearing laptops apart can be a bit tricky if you want to be able to
    | put it back together again. If it was a normal desktop I would go with
    | the others, hardrive out, data over into another machine. But when it
    | is a laptop it is a bit drastic to go there just yet. Let windows
    | repair console have a go at it first. Try to get your Windows CD and
    | boot up as if you were to make an install. You will get the option to
    | press 'R' to repair windows. Let it do its thing and reboot, then see
    | if that doesn't help you. But Toolman Tims advice on 'Last known
    | configuration' sohuld be tried first
    |
    | jda^fx

    Getting a hard drive out of an HP laptop usually isn't too bad - one screw,
    maybe two, and the caddy comes out. The bigger problem is hooking it up to a
    desktop. I have an external USB enclosure for that...but most people don't
    have one just setting around ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Jan 24, 2005
  8. Mike

    jda^fx Guest

    Maybe that is why you are the Toolman :¤) You didn't mention how easy
    how easy it was to put back together again though. It is usually at
    that point problems start to rise :¤)

    jda^fx

    jda^fx, Jan 24, 2005
  9. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks Guys...will try everything advised...but last resort I guess is to
    start fresh. Wife said she did not have much on it so I guess the only loss
    would be the time it takes to refresh the system. I really do appreciate
    all the help!!

    Mike

    Mike, Jan 24, 2005