    Wishing everyone an eventful weekend.....!!!

    Mark
    Nashville,TN

    Mark C, Jul 11, 2003

  2. Mark C

    John O. Guest

    I would dare say there isn't one.

    John O., Jul 11, 2003

  3. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    Surely you start somewhere??? No?

    Mark C, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Mark C

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    Color temperature (White Balance) and Exposure Value

    Tom Thackrey, Jul 11, 2003
  5. Mark C

    Pena Guest

    Sharpening all shots and nothing else in 70% of the shots.
    All corrections are best to do in RAW mode.
    I convert RAWs to TIFFs and print'em using PS.

    Ben
    10D
    i950
    CaptureOneDSRL Le.

    Pena, Jul 11, 2003
  6. Mark C

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    Not blowing out the whites with the EV and getting the overall color right
    with the WB.

    Tom Thackrey, Jul 11, 2003
  7. Mark C

    Fanta Guest

    None. Actually I use mostly Picture Window Pro, not Photoshop, open the
    RAW file and associate it with the device color profile. Then convert
    the picture to Adobe RGB, then do all the editing I like.

    Only exception is if I want to reduce the grain/noise with Neat Image:
    in that case, I do it first thing on the RAW file.

    Fanta, Jul 11, 2003
  8. Mark C

    John O. Guest

    Of course you start somewhere. I just don't think it's as simple as
    saying there are a set of things you do to every image. To say every
    image needs WB adjusted for example. That is just silly. Or that every
    image needs sharpened.... You will of course look at all of these
    things. But ideally, my camera gets most of that the way I want it when
    I pressed the shutter button. The less processing I've got to do, the
    happier I am.

    John O.
    There is no slack in light attack.

    John O., Jul 11, 2003
  9. If you count the Adobe Raw Conversion plugin as "before working on it in
    photoshop", I almost always tweak the white balance, exposure and
    contrast, saturation (sometimes up, sometimes down...), and noise
    reduction (smoothing and moiré filter).

    Then, in photoshop proper, I sometimes dodge and burn, use curves, clone
    or use the healing brush, correct chromatic aberration or lens
    distortions, apply more unsharp masking, or use more significant noise
    reduction actions. But more often I just crop.

    David Eppstein, Jul 11, 2003
  10. Mark C

    Pena Guest

    I use slight Sharpening in C1 and in PS I resize in 2-3 steps down and USM
    slightly after every resize.
    This gives me significant sharper pictures (screen) than resizing at once to
    a certain size and after that sharpen.

    Ben

    Pena, Jul 11, 2003
  11. With the Canon raw converter, at least, the camera settings for white
    balance, sharpening, contrast, etc. become the default settings for the
    raw conversion step. You can change them, but you don't have to. So
    you could just accept the default settings.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jul 11, 2003
  12. Mark C

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    I don't think his question had right or wrong answers. It was a 'what do you
    do' question not 'what is right'.

    One reason I shoot raw is so I don't have to mess with camera white balance.
    I don't think it impacts my workflow much and I like the results. If I'm
    particularly concerned, I shoot a gray card in a frame and use it to make
    the WB adjustments. With EV, I expose for the highlights with the
    expectation of tweaking the exposure in the conversion process. I'd rather
    underexpose than have blown out whites. Just because you choose to do it
    differently doesn't make my way any less 'correct.'

    Tom Thackrey, Jul 12, 2003
  13. Disable sharpening.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jul 12, 2003
  14. Mark C

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Before working on them in PS? None usually. With proper exposure,
    most images need only a levels adjustment and final sharpening for
    output.

    I've found that the more precise my exposure, the less work needed in
    post processing.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Jul 12, 2003
  15. Mark C

    Jim Davis Guest

    Getting your exposure right in camera is a great thing, but I think
    you're missing a whole new world of adjustments in raw conversion.
    There is no way doing these adjustments in Photoshop is the same
    thing. I suggest you do some reading on exactly what you're doing.
    Stretching the tonal range with levels in PS simply means Photoshop
    has to fill in the missing info in the stretched areas and compress
    those in other areas. What that amounts to is degraded image. Doing
    this working with raw data from the camera is a much superior method.

    And that' why I just bought Capture One LE. Check it out.

    Jim Davis
    Nature Photography
    http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/

    Jim Davis, Jul 12, 2003
  16. Mark C

    Lisa Horton Guest

    What I mean is that if the exposure is really good, there's little to
    no blank space at either end of the histogram.

    My workflow is oriented around my needs. I often shoot quite a few
    images at a time, and need them finished fairly soon. So I do as much
    as I can in batches. A bit of extra time and effort at shooting time
    can mean the difference between images that can realistically be batch
    processed and images that need individual attention. Batch processing
    saves me money, individual processing costs me money. Well time,
    really, but that's actually a more scarce commodity.

    Now, I may go back and do a different process on the selects, in which
    case I'd normally adjust each one at conversion time.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Jul 12, 2003
  17. Depends on the conditions. In sufficiently uncontrasty light I get lots
    of blank space on both ends of the histogram.

    David Eppstein, Jul 12, 2003
  18. Mark C

    John O. Guest

    Thanks Kenny. That was the gist of the FIRST freakin reply. Everyone is
    dancing around this when there is a simple answer to his question. (And
    by some of the answers, I don't think some have even really read the
    original question) Which I've (and now you :)) have given. There are NO
    common adjustments for every image. The guy is looking for some magic
    answer.

    The guy asks: what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
    you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.

    That is all he asks. The answer is "THERE ARE NONE!"

    NEXT

    John O., Jul 12, 2003
  19. Mark C

    Lionel Guest

    Eh?
    Why do you think he should be discussing your comment with you? You do
    it your way, he does it way. No big deal.

    Lionel, Jul 12, 2003
  20. Mark C

    Lionel Guest

    I don't got to that much trouble, but I definitely prefer to sharpen
    before resizing. IMO, it results in a cleaner image than sharpening
    last.

    Lionel, Jul 12, 2003