    A steamy hot day when the sun is directly overhead ... perfect time
    for an infrared pano!

    This was a quickie done with CS3's Photomerge command.

    Annika1980, Aug 6, 2008

  2. Annika1980

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Hi, Bret, nice.. but... (O:

    Do you shoot these unfiltered? I mean, I know you have a modded
    IR-filter-less D60, but do you *additionally* use an IR-pass filter?
    The reason I ask is that the effect seems too much - more like a snow
    scene..

    For that reason, I think including more sky might have improved it (that
    path could go, and I don't really like the way the pine just touches the
    top frame).

    I can't really post anything competitive, tho' - I'd like to get back
    into IR, but my current cam-of-choice is not well-suited. Maybe later.

    Thanks for posting these to aus.photo, by the way. (grin)

    Mark Thomas, Aug 6, 2008

  3. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    Incredibly beautiful work Bret!
    I don't see a sign of where you merged multiple shots. Love the
    reflection in the pond.
    Stunning, very impressive work!
    Helen

    Helen, Aug 6, 2008
  4. Annika1980

    PeteD Guest

    Is it just me or do others not see the point of an infrared panorama?
    Actually I have not seen much reason for IR shots at all except in very
    special circumstance.

    Pete

    PeteD, Aug 6, 2008
  5. Annika1980

    Jeff R. Guest

    Actually, I'd like to see an IR macro nude panorama.

    Possibly 3D.

    Taken through a 10x ND filter.

    Jeff R., Aug 6, 2008
  6. Annika1980

    Noons Guest

    Noons, Aug 6, 2008
  7. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    No additional filtering was used.
    Yes, the top of the tree was a victim of the cropping. It was a
    choice of either cropping it that way or showing more sky with a hole
    in the middle of it. I considered filling in the missing sky with
    some cloning, but I have my artistic integrity to think about, dontcha
    know.

    Annika1980, Aug 6, 2008
  8. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    I feel the same way about regular old B&W.
    It's just a different look. Most people either like or or hate it.
    For the photographer, it is a fun way to get pics in what would
    normally be considered horrible light for shooting.

    Annika1980, Aug 6, 2008
  9. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    I love IR work. Your description of its sensual characteristics and
    how it overwhelms the usual sensibility with a wash of ummm ummm
    ummm, pretty well nails it right on the head for me. One of my very
    favorites is Bret's Thundering Heard.

    Helen, Aug 7, 2008
  10. Annika1980

    tony cooper Guest

    Damn! I knew Bret was good, but it never occurred to me to turn on my
    speakers when I look at his images.

    tony cooper, Aug 7, 2008
  11. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    I know the proper spelling Tony. I was referring to the title of
    Bret's IR work here: http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/98441768

    Helen, Aug 7, 2008
  12. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    I re-did it tonight with PTGui. I used a different set of pics (5 in
    all) with a little more sky above the tree.

    Annika1980, Aug 7, 2008
  13. Annika1980

    Colin.D Guest

    That's a pretty clever pun! Full marks for that.

    Colin D.

    Colin.D, Aug 7, 2008
  14. I re-did it tonight with PTGui. I used a different set of pics (5 in
    all) with a little more sky above the tree.

    It looks like that outside at the moment :)

    Atheist Chaplain, Aug 7, 2008
  15. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    Since the horses were spooked by the loud thunder, I thought Bret came
    up with a clever pun for the title too.

    Helen, Aug 7, 2008
  16. Annika1980

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Greatly appreciate you taking the trouble - yep, that looks more
    balanced and much better to me. Still woulda gone for more sky tho!

    Nice work.

    Helen, Aug 7, 2008
  18. Annika1980

    Jeff R. Guest

    Did I forget to mention?
    It must be handheld, and your eyes must be closed.

    Jeff R., Aug 7, 2008
  19. Annika1980

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Workin' on it as we speak.
    And I figured it was *obvious* that it would be taken blindfolded and
    tripodless.

    Aren't *all* 10X ND shots?

    Mark Thomas, Aug 7, 2008
  20. Annika1980

    Jeff R. Guest

    Well, I dunno.

    Y'see, I don't have a 10x ND. I use a 1000 Oaks solar filter, so I'm not
    qualified to say for sure.

    Jeff R., Aug 7, 2008