    Is it possible to take an infra-red photo with a digital camera?
    or would it be possible to modify a color photo in photoshop to give
    infra-red b&w appearance?

    Jeff, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Yes and yes. For the IR photo, you want to use a filter that passes IR
    and blocks visible light. I've used a Hoya R72 and a B+W 093 with my
    Nikon 950 in black and white mode. One thing you might want to check is
    whether your camera has an IR-blocking filter in it. This will cause
    problems because it is doing exactly the opposite of what you want. You
    can check this by pointing a remote control at the camera, press any
    button, and see if you can see it.

    Regarding your other question, I seem to remember a post where someone
    had created an IR-like filter for Photoshop. I don't think it was free
    though. Try a Google search...

    Regards,
    jeff

    Jeffrey Czapla-Myers, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Jeff

    john. Guest

  4. The Sony F717 and V1 are probably the most capable IR digicams on the
    market, although there are many others IR sensitive enough to be quite
    useful.

    You can always manipulate a color or B&W image to give the appearance
    of IR with an image editing program, but you cannot produce an IR image
    from any visible light image. The difference is that an IR image is
    recording light not visible in a visible light image, so the
    relationships of tonalities in false-IR images may appear similar but
    cannot be the same thing.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Jeff

    mcgyverjones Guest

    Actually digital cameras are very sensitive to IR and have sensor filters to
    cut it back.
    You can test your cameras sensitivity by looking at a TV remote through the
    cameras LCD and pressing a button on the remote. You should be able to see
    the transmitter LED very clearly. Cool huh?

    MJ

    mcgyverjones, Aug 13, 2003
  6. Jeff

    gr Guest

    Very cool!

    Anyone know the frequency that digicams are sensitive down to?

    gr, Aug 14, 2003
  7. That's not a very useful test, since the IR LED in the remote control is
    so bright. Almost any camera should be able to see some IR in those
    circumstance. If all cameras pass the test, the test doesn't tell you
    much about sensitivity.

    What you really care about is how long the exposures need to be when
    shooting IR in ambient light, like outdoors in daylight. To judge that,
    you'll need an IR filter.

    If you want something sensitive enough to work in complete darkness with
    an IR light source, you will probably need a camera that can remove its
    internal IR-blocking filter entirely (some Sony models).

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Aug 14, 2003
  8. Anyone know the frequency that digicams are sensitive down to?

    I've found using a 1000A cutoff IR filter very successful for shooting
    monochrome IR with the Sony F7x7 cameras ...

    with B+W 093 plus ND:
    http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW2/48a.htm
    http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW2/48b.htm
    http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW2/48c.htm
    http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW2/48d.htm
    http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW2/48e.htm

    However, if your interest is broader-scope and you would like to
    produce false color images as well, a 650A to 720A cutoff filter would
    be my choice ...

    with B+W 092 plus X1 (deep green):
    http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/01.htm
    http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/01a.htm

    All of these are taken using the Sony's "NightShot" mode and so did not
    require tripod and extended shutter times.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Aug 14, 2003
  9. Jeff

    Matt Arnold Guest

    Hi,

    The Fuji 6900Z & s602 are sensitive to IR enough to produce some stunning
    photographs. There are plenty of books on the market for IR photography that
    you can read and get more info on the subject, then go and play with your
    camera after checking it can "see" nIR wavelengths.

    For more details on the TV remote test and taking IR photographs with Fuji
    6900Z / s602 (and maybe 4900Z - can anyone confirm this?), take a look at
    http://www.camerashed.co.uk/project7.asp.

    Have fun seeing the world with new eyes - it's an "other world" experience.

    Matt Arnold
    Go further with your Fuji cam: http://www.camerashed.co.uk

    Matt Arnold, Aug 15, 2003