    I spend my savings on them, would like to see what sort of a career this is.

    Thanks alot people.

    Antony

    Guest, May 12, 2006

  2. Guest

    Jtyc Guest

    Hello everybody.
    They pay you command will change based on your experience or ability to bs
    people. If you are starting out, your day will most likely consist of Nick
    Burns like confrontations.

    My advice on where to start with IT is to pick a topic you are most
    interested in and then getting a system and some software and seeing if you
    can get something working. Find people you know with computer problems and
    volunteer to fix it for them.

    Jtyc, May 12, 2006

  3. Guest

    kpg Guest

    As Pennywize once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
    ooh!

    Well, lets see.

    Pay. It starts off low, and as you gain experience and get
    promotions, it goes up, but how much depends on where you work
    and how much you learn. It's a pretty competitive field and it
    does take some time to distinguish yourself from the rabble.

    A day of work. OK. You show up a work and before you're 10 feet
    in the door you get your first assault of the day - "My email
    stopped working." OK. I'll check into that. It's downhill from
    there. It departments are under funded so help is short or
    unqualified and workload is high. This is changing a little from
    the low make of a few years back, however.

    Spending saving on certifications: Don't do it. If you're talking
    bootcamps or diploma mills, forget it. you may get the cert but
    you still won't know anything so if you do get hired you won't last
    long. Get certified as you gain experience and are ready. That's how
    it's supposed to work.

    Sort of career: If you enjoy being the smartest guy in the room then
    it's good, but dealing with lusers all day can take it's toll.

    There. I promoted certification in a positive way.

    kpg
    www.MCNGP.com 0x22

    kpg, May 12, 2006
  4. Guest

    kpg Guest

    As an aside:

    I'm in the process of hiring a customer support rep to do
    phone support for our software.

    I've got about 30 resumes, at least 20 of them are MCSE's.

    Most have an A+.

    One guy, on his cover letter, said he "trouble shouted"
    before. I guess some people are hard of hearing.

    kpg, May 12, 2006
  5. Guest

    Jtyc Guest

    I'm in the process of hiring a customer support rep to do
    I hope you have some requirements like, 5 years experience with Windows
    Vista...

    Jtyc, May 12, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hahaha...Thank you very such for all your prompt replies. I found them quite
    amusing, but very informative at the same time, thank you very such.

    Ok. So as far as I understand, it is demanding work, depending on the
    company you work for, ie. If departments are well supplied in staff and
    utilities. It pays low to start off with, guessing that is something like £14
    000 - £18 000 ( I live in the UK).
    But without a certification? How would I find a job in this field. I am
    knowledgable regarding computer problems like, my email dont work, or my
    monitor will not work, or my computer crashed. Regarding networking problems
    I havn't a clue. Is there any other useful tips you can give me? Thank you
    for your tips so far, they really have been a big help.

    Guest, May 12, 2006
  7. Guest

    LRM Guest

    All gawked in amazement when: Pennywize assaulted us with:
    Go to school, get a diploma. A BS/BA degree goes a long way.

    LRM, May 12, 2006
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hey, didn't mean any insult at all. Sorry, must be British humor. Really,
    sorry if you got the wrong end to my post. I am looking for a career change
    from retail to IT. A degree is not an option. I really and truely appreciate
    your experience. Just trying to gather as much information as possible.
    Again, sorry if you were insulted.

    Guest, May 13, 2006
  9. Guest

    LRM Guest

    All gawked in amazement when: Pennywize assaulted us with:

    Not insulted at all, seriously, get a degree! You can make the shift, trying
    to do it a little at a time with certs here and there, but if you get a
    degree it doesn't expire and it never really becomes obsolete. I was a
    midlife career changer and decided to go the long route and get a degree. I
    didn't start getting certs till I actually started working in the field.

    LRM, May 13, 2006
  10. Guest

    Grep Guest

    Great info.

    Grep, May 13, 2006
  11. Guest

    Cerebrus Guest

    Pennywize wrote :

    That is her standard way of saying "Pennywize wrote". It doesn't mean
    that she felt insulted. As you become more acquainted with this place,
    you will realize that most MCNGP's have that sweet way of quoting you,
    and making you feel special. ;-)

    Nothing to feel sorry about.

    Regards,

    Cerebrus.

    Cerebrus, May 13, 2006
  12. Guest

    Frisbee® Guest

    This resume software I have has various examples in it. One in particular
    caught my eye, where the subject claimed to have studied Visual BASIC in
    college, in 1972.

    Frisbee®, May 13, 2006
  13. Guest

    Frisbee® Guest

    I think you missed that he was offended by your noose reader's quoter:

    Frisbee®, May 13, 2006
  14. Guest

    Frisbee® Guest

    My resume consists of one word: MCNGP

    Never fails to get me the job.

    Excuse me, I need to get back to mopping up that mess in the back.

    Frisbee®, May 13, 2006
  15. Guest

    LRM Guest

    All gawked in amazement when: Frisbee® assaulted us with:
    I got that, but was pretending not to notice because I had more to say. Plus
    I figured if he lurks awhile longer he'll figure it out.

    LRM, May 13, 2006
  16. Guest

    Robert Moir Guest

    Possibly that, maybe a little less depending on where you're working.
    By looking for entry level positions. My employer doesn't insist on
    certification alphabet soup for our entry level positions.
    Be honest. If I hire you for a beginners position because that is how you
    represented yourself then that is fine. If you misrepresent yourself as
    someone experienced and I find out I can't rely on you then you're not going
    to last long.

    Be honest with *yourself*. For example (I'm sure its unintentional) but
    you've said you know how to handle "my email doesn't work" but you don't
    know anything about networks. You can't troubleshoot email problems on a
    business LAN if you don't have some basic knowledge of networking. With
    respect, don't think that setting up AOL or Freeserve on a home PC with ADSL
    has anything to do with how Internet connections, web browsing, email, etc.
    work in business.
    Have you tried looking in your local jobcentre. I'm being serious, a lot of
    entry level stuff does appear there. I'd also stick with newspaper
    recruitment ads rather than agencies, as the agency jobs do tend to be for
    experienced people.

    Consider public sector work - in particular education. These places are more
    likely to take on inexperienced people (and pay according I'm sad to say)
    but the training and working conditions are good and usually make for a good
    place to learn the trade.

    Rob Moir, Microsoft MVP
    Blog Site - http://www.robertmoir.com
    Virtual PC 2004 FAQ - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
    I'm always surprised at "professionals" who STILL have to be asked "Have you
    checked (event viewer / syslog)".

    Robert Moir, May 14, 2006
  17. Guest

    Robert Moir Guest